Innovative Marine Aquariums

anemones okay in a NC12DX?

jss8422

I saw this beautiful rose anemone in my LFS today. Not very big, maybe about the size of a golf ball. Anyways, I always hear that anemones are so hard to keep in a NC12 b/c they reproduce a lot and quickly. However, the guy in my LFS said clowns absolutely love to be hosted by these. So, I was wondering, if I got a peppermint shrimp (or 2?) to regulate the rose anemone, could I get it?

a pepermint shrimp to regulate the anemone??? what do you mean... i think that you would need a lighting upgrade to either more PCs or a Metal Halide.. anyway how old is this tank??? clowns do not need to have anemones .... and will gladly host a frogspawn, torch coral, hammer coral, zoanthids, Xenia, or even gree star polyps

Really the only anemone I know of that will do well umder stock cube lighting would be a flower/rock anemone. These are small, and I don't think a clown would bother hosting them. FF218 gave sound advice, stay away from anemone's, the clowns don't need em.

u know what he ment Snoop, and yes they do need light,,, anyway if you ARE taling about a Rose bubbl anemone then no.. and also clowns prob. wont host in a Majano. ... and they can become pests...

shao-lin nano
However, the guy in my LFS said clowns absolutely love to be hosted by these. So, I was wondering, if I got a peppermint shrimp (or 2?) to regulate the rose anemone, could I get it?

LFS guy was trying to sell you something so of course he'll say that and I think you're thinking of shrimps controlling pest anemone like aptasia.

haha, this reminds me of my first trip to my lfs. he said i could keep a clown and a bta in an eclipse 12. he told me i had to upgrade my lighting to a 50/50 bulb.

haha, this is a true story and is for your enjoyment only. please nobody try this.

I would say that because the 12 gallon nano is so shallow it would okay to put a RBTA in the tank. I have talked to many experienced reef keepers about this and many have said the same thing. Only because its a shallow tank. On the other hand I would not advise of it because they get extremely large(bigger than the tank) and you wouldn't be able to keep any corals because it would most likely sting them a lot.

shao-lin nano

Just because it's possible doesn't mean that it'll be easy or that you'll be lucky enough to pull it off. I say just don't take the risk.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean that it'll be easy or that you'll be lucky enough to pull it off. I say just don't take the risk.

Best Advice Ever!

• 2 months later...

I agree with all your posts/comments, however, I believe it is possible to keep a bubbletip in a 12g NCDX. You do have to stay on top of it: water changes, params, feeding, etc. but it's not necessarily difficult. In fact, this is the fun part for most reefers. My bubbletip is thriving in my NCDX. He stays pretty much mid level. I do have a true perc but he hosts my hairy shrooms instead - always has. Haven't had any problems with the anemone stinging my other corals - my tree coral lost a branch but I'm not sure if it was from the anemone stinging it...

Archived