Top Shelf Aquatics

SCORED A CLAM FOR $10~!

Mirepa

keep it in rockwork. Croceas in the wild thrive on rockwork and usually die in the sandbed. Also, dose phytoplankton a couple times a week. Since its mantel is still small it relies on phyto until its about 3". Good luck

I got it for 10 bucks because I know the LFS owner and he owes me 20 bucks. he had this small crocea for 29.99 so balanced out I paid 9.99 :-D

really the rockwork? i always thought they liked the sand.. i'm just crazy... lol so should I lean it on a rock?

Here is a pic I just took... hallides are sorta in the way :)

Photo-0104.jpg

but really... do I have to put it on rockwork? or will it be okay in the sand... arrrrrr

You DONT WANT it to attach to the glass bottom. If it does you will never get it off should you need to move it.

I agree...bring it up into the rockwork.

2.5" is about the limit for size...any smaller and they can be tough to keep fed...the bigger they get and the larger the mantle gets the less you need to feed them

Whats your MH K? 10K seems to be best for clams.

I would also suggest feeding phyto 3 times per week at least.

Nice looking clam BTW and congrats on the deal. Even $29.99 is good price.

My lighting is 70w 14k + 40w Actinic

I do DT's Phyto 2wice a week and I guess I should stpe that up now... and time to move him onto a rock...

My lighting is 70w 14k + 40w Actinic

I do DT's Phyto 2wice a week and I guess I should stpe that up now... and time to move him onto a rock...

Good call.

okay moved him onto a flat area on my rockwork.. he looks so out of place...

so in the next few days he will attach to the rock then?

how does this thing want to be set down? mantle side strait up.. on its side... or aslong as the bottom of the clam is on rock surface he's okay?

The crocea will fare better in the rock.

Place the clam so that the mantle is facing up towards the light and so that it can open fully...dont have it wedged into a rock.

Also make sure you place it with the byssal gland on the downslope (if the rock is sloped) because it the byssal is on the upslope a growing clam can cause stress on the gland and lead to a damage and sick clam

Just curious why a crocea would be better on the rock. Most the time I see clams in the sand. I know nothing about clams and would like to know more about them.

Just curious why a crocea would be better on the rock. Most the time I see clams in the sand. I know nothing about clams and would like to know more about them.

deresa and squamosa clams are naturally sand bed clams whereas crocea and maxima are naturally rock boring clams.

Croce and maxima can actually secrete a substance that helps them bore their "foot" into the rock for a better hold. This is where they are found most commonly in nature. Some people will refute this and say "but when I went diving I saw them in the sand". True, it can happen...Ive seen it too. But generally crocea and maxima are better in the rockwork.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/Clam_care/Clam_care.htm

For more info on clams

Archived