Top Shelf Aquatics

Anyone having problems with their Aqua Pod Stuff?

Whitten

My friend bought his 24 gallon Aqua Pod from Drs. back in November and finally got it a few days into January.

2 days into having the tank, and the 70 watt metal halide Sun Pod started not firing on the first try. After 3 days of it taking nearly 3 hours for it to finally catch and fire the bulb the ballast freaked out and popped sending an EMP through out the house that caused his XBox 360, TV, Stereo, Computer and all other electronic appliances to turn off. We contacted Ike at Current and two weeks later finally got a replacement ballast. Ike was nice enough to send him a 150 watt ballast this time as well as a socket and bulb for his troubles.

I made sure that he had an uber excellent surge protector after an incident where my ballast messed up on me due to poor surge protection so I don't think that is the problem.

I installed the ballast, bracket, and bulb On Thursday of this week and it fired up immediately after we turned it on. Saturday morning, 2 days later, it starts doing the same thing that the last one was doing and not firing again. This morning (Sunday) morning he again came home to a dark tank because the fixture would not fire. It took 3 more tries of turning it on, waiting for ten minutes for it to fire, turning it off and letting it sit for an hour and then trying again before it would fire.

I am a little irritated here and worried too because it took quite a while to get the last ballast and I don't want him to be having these kinds of problems being that he is new to the hobby and just spent a great deal of his cash.

Not to mention that today I just found out that the 24 gallon Aqua Pods with the SunPod MH's were supposed to come with glass tops to cover the display and his did not...nor was their any mention of one.

Let me know if anyone else is having these problems. I want to try and see if they can be replicated or if it is just issolated to him and his appartment.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

I have the exact same setup and have had no problems at all. Obviously, if you turn the light off, you have to wait long time before restart - but that is inherent with MH lighting. I have it set on a timer and it is like clockwork.

I did not get a glass cover with my initial shipment, but I emailed Ike and he mailed one out. I hope your friend gets the issues resolved soon so he can enjoy the new tank.

I have the exact same setup and have had no problems at all. Obviously, if you turn the light off, you have to wait long time before restart - but that is inherent with MH lighting. I have it set on a timer and it is like clockwork.

I did not get a glass cover with my initial shipment, but I emailed Ike and he mailed one out. I hope your friend gets the issues resolved soon so he can enjoy the new tank.

You and me both.

We have tried it both with a timer and without, it seems as though it just doesn't mater. The key here is that the ballast doesn't even attempt to fire the bulb. Their is no flicker, nor is their the innitial hum that you get when your first turn it on and it does actually fire.

I will have him E-mail Ike again concerning the glass top. I am sure Ike is going to be getting tired of us, but things have got to be right.

check that your bulb and socket has a good connection, sometimes if you dont have the bulb planted on the prongs the bulb will try to fire, and will take a few attempts before firing...but it also maybe defective....

check that your bulb and socket has a good connection, sometimes if you dont have the bulb planted on the prongs the bulb will try to fire, and will take a few attempts before firing...but it also maybe defective....

I will check the bulb again but I am pretty sure that it is on there really well.

It is just so strange that it is doing the exact same thing that it did just before the previous ballast died. I hope that this issue goes away after the bulb burns in.

I will check the bulb again but I am pretty sure that it is on there really well.

It is just so strange that it is doing the exact same thing that it did just before the previous ballast died. I hope that this issue goes away after the bulb burns in.

i doubt it has anything to do with the bulb, the burn in process deals with the metalic salts inside the bulb that goes thru a chemical change as they are ionized. Just double check your connections if it doesnt start then your gonna have to get it replaced. There is no reason this should not fire up on the first try.

i doubt it has anything to do with the bulb, the burn in process deals with the metalic salts inside the bulb that goes thru a chemical change as they are ionized. Just double check your connections if it doesnt start then your gonna have to get it replaced. There is no reason this should not fire up on the first try.

I agree.

I found another thread in the lighting forum that points to the same issues that I have outlined and it appears that a few other people are having the very same issues we are having.

I will link it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...40entry707486

• 7 months later...
the_anti_honda

I would like to punch the next Current rep I see in his nuts. People need to get off there ass and build a quality product. What a crazy place this would be if everyone did there job. LOL

I hate all my Current products

Archived