Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I've whined about LFS prices before....

FamousGuy

I was at a lfs i haven't really been to much today and in the frag tank they had one small piece of rock that had like TWO really tiny purple mushrooms on it, but the rock was  solid with all kinds of crazy coralline so i asked how much? 45 bucks!  I thought they'd have to be cheaper than the other lfs but i guess not, they're even worse.  Looks like i'm gonna have to order my corals online...d*mn

ridiculous.  i recently found a frag at the lfs holding a reasonably-sized green and a purple mushroom and they were selling it for 10 bucks.  45 bucks??

Smokey Joe

Theres a store near me named Aquarium Adventure.  They make a big deal about joining their "fish club" because once a month it gives you %50 off.  Of course, heres some of their prices:

Green Star Polyps: 109.99

Orchid Dottyback:  129.99

Musroom Rock (about 5 small shrooms): 109.99

Essentially, almost every coral is over $100 unless on sale (and then you can't use your discount).  And in general I've found there stuff to be sub-par in quality at best.

Man, that's crazy.  I thought it was bad that my local PetCo only had one coral, which was a 3" green star polyp rock for $47.99. Should have been about $20.  No way am I buying in town.  Bah.

wow i got it eazy then my stuff is cheap i thought it was expensive so i just picked up frags and proped my own lol a star plolyp rock here is 30 shroom rock 20 open brains are 35 accro is 45 for a frag about the size of you finger lol

Jaysus!  That thing about the 50% club is absolutely rediculous.  If I saw that at my LFS I would just laugh in their face, turn around, and walk out the door.  Then I would come back to the store with a laptop computer and cordless modem and order coral online right in front of the store owner.

I thought $50 for a fist-sized blastomussa was crazy at my LFS, but then I went to this other one and they wanted $90 for one 1/3 as big.  I hate that crap.

(Edited by Korbin at 11:27 am on May 24, 2002)

printerdown01

MAN! After reading these, I'm never complaining about the prices I have to pay again! And by the way the club thing is absurd!

My lfs is great they sell at least 20 different types of coral and the most expensive is like 60 bucks and they go down to 20 bucks and you get a fair  amount of corals on each rock

My Alife 7

Man!! $100+ for some corals I can get at my LFS for 10-30 bucks?! I feel bad you have to live next to such horrible LFS's...

TooFar2Sea

I see an opportunity, not a problem.  Get a bit of Green Star Polyp someplace and when it grows you can take frags into the store for trade or credit.  

As for coral prices, I think we have lived through the "good old days" as far as prices are concerned.  I only see them going higher and maybe even a day when coral is not available to purchase at all.  

Smokey Joe

They don't buy or give store credit for corals raised by individuals.

I don't think their (absurdly) high prices are a consequense of them buying at high prices.  The prices are what they are becuase of a lack of knowledge and competition in the area.  The store I prefer going to is much smaller, but is well known to people in the area and has very good quality livestock at prices better than half off Aquarium Adventures.

Toofar, is your point that higher prices should equate to higher credit?  if so, then if things are already overpriced (i would hope you'd not pay 45 bucks for a couple shroom polyps!) you're still better off finding a store that isn't a d*mn ripoff to take your frags to.  plus something tells me a shyster will also rip you off when buying from you if they rip you off when selling to you.  i don't buy that whole "supply and demand" crap theory, if they jack up the price because they think people are desperate for corals, then they're price gouging, and the only way they'll stay in business is if customers are stupid enough to bend over and take it.  if demand for corals increases a lot, then the number of tank-raised species will also increase, i don't care how "hard" it seems right now to propgate certain corals in captivity, people will figure out how to do it when there's money to be made!

one store owner in my area told me he could get me a really good deal on a 32 w smartlight.  when he looked it up the price was 160 bucks.  i laughed and told him i could get it online for 45 bucks.  he said "then buy all you can"  like he didnt believe me.   most lfs have smartlights for around 90

Quote: from Smokey Joe on 9:58 am on May 24, 2002[br]Theres a store near me named Aquarium Adventure.  They make a big deal about joining their "fish club" because once a month it gives you %50 off.  

I was at Aquarium Adventure this morning and I reminded myself why I never buy anything there.  I'd have to take out a loan!  You're absolutely right about the fish club being a crock, but at least the staff seems to know what they're talking about.  They're store room is very impressive too.  Obscenely overpriced tanks and stands as far as the eye can see...but hey, they look nice.

d*mn that is rediculous....i owuld never pay even 40 for a coral. and smartlights being 90 bucks at lfs? that is still really high. the hsould be at most 65 which is normal for what ive seen.

Really sorry to hear you guys have to pay such high prices, I live with 15 mins of 3 great LFS and would never pay the prices you guys get stuck with. I guess living in San Diego does have it's advantages. If you ever vacation out this way let me know and I can hook you to do some outstanding shopping before you go back .  

NanoReefer53

omg ! where do u guys live ? Those are the krziest prices i've ever seen ever ! In my area, I can get stuff pretty cheap (guess im lucky). SPS colonies are ~$40. Medium size soft corals or colonies of smaller ones run around $12-20 depending on type and size. Deresa clams are $16-35 and maximas are ~$50. Lol, i wonder how much a maxima clam would cost at Aquarium Adventure ? You know what's cool though, every sunday there's a lfs that sells fish wholesale direct from the farm ! They're all bagged up with a price marked on them so you just pick it up, go to the register, pay and go. Example prices : $1-damsel  $1-turbo snail  $3-perc clown $12-long tentacle anemone, and a whole lot more !

yeah this lfs with the two shrooms had the 32 watt smartlamps for like 79 bucks, i got it for about fi'ty at ff

Fishiebusiness
Quote: from NanoReefer53 on 1:04 am on May 25, 2002[br]omg ! where do u guys live ? Those are the krziest prices i've ever seen ever ! In my area, I can get stuff pretty cheap (guess im lucky). SPS colonies are ~$40. Medium size soft corals or colonies of smaller ones run around $12-20 depending on type and size. Deresa clams are $16-35 and maximas are ~$50. Lol, i wonder how much a maxima clam would cost at Aquarium Adventure ? You know what's cool though, every sunday there's a lfs that sells fish wholesale direct from the farm ! They're all bagged up with a price marked on them so you just pick it up, go to the register, pay and go. Example prices : $1-damsel  $1-turbo snail  $3-perc clown $12-long tentacle anemone, and a whole lot more !

Is this 6th ave clement? If so, have you seen any false percs?

You guys need to get some hookups, make friends with the guys at the LFS. One of my buddies works at two lfs,,, a local one and one of the big online dealers, but i won't say where. He hooks me up big time. Yesterday I got this GIANT purple shroom on a small rock w/ two other shrooms, another small purple one and lighter colored one for only 5 bucks. Also, all of my liverock is rounded down in pounds and at his price... Lets see, go to lfs with stupid people working at them, I went to one and there was this awesome purple spotted shroom on a piece of chili coral... so I asked how much for the individual shroom? and I got the chili w/ shroom for only 6 bucks. Join your local coral clubs to trade... ANYTHING BUT PAYING THAT MUCH! Haha, good luck yall,

gaber

p.s. Once when I bought a firefish, an extra one accidentally apeared in the bag. Haha. That was nice. This dude also put a small button colony and shroom in a bag with a couple crabs and I only payed for the crabs haha. Just get yourself hooked up!

I agree Gabe.  If I had to pay $50 for a few polyps, I wouldnt even have a reef until I moved back to civilization.  Did find a guy that can hook me up with good deals from an LFS he has a deal worked out with though, so I should be getting everything for $10-20 a piece, then hopefully I can frag it out and make some money off the lusers in town here.  

Archived