ReefCleaners.org

sehorses for me.

firefishbrain

firefishbrain

I wanna do a seahorse tank they will be captive bred and I think they are brazilian, I'll have to check if everything works out, the place I would get them from feeds them frozen mysid shrimp, if that didn't work out, this thread would be nonexistant. the tank size cannot exceed 15g, any suggestions of something with integrated filtration, maybe an ecliple 12? I will not do any coral, just "feather" and "grape" macro and maybe lr, at least rubble. If I just endup doing something that has no filter with it, should I just do somesort of HOB, like a penguin and what size? what sould I do about clean up, I know about ratio of snails per gallon and whatnot, but is there anything I should avoid like hermits, and if so could I substitute something so any uneaten food is eaten by scavengers. ALso since this is theorectically a sw "planted" tank could I also theorectically put more seahorses in the tank provided space isn't a prob, I plan to have the tank be a macro "lawn" so would I have to overstock a bit to satisfy their nourishment needs? sorry for the huge run-on pararaph thanks for posts.

best tank would be a 15H with some sort of light (im srry i dont know the dimensions of the tank b.c. the all glass site is down) for Filtration go with a HOB filter ... I like Aquaclear 20 would be good.. also get a small powerhead.. SH's dont like alot of flow.. i would say 10lbs. of LR is good with maybe 5lbs. base rock or 15lbs. of LR or any combo. just make sure you have 15lbs. some of which being Liverock.. an eclipse isnt really such a good tank... the Brazilian (Hippocampus Reidi) seahorse will get fairly large.. and they like alot of hight... so a tank about 2.5-3x higher then they are.. they can grow 6-7" .. also will need Hitching posts.. MacroAlgea is good.. you can go with a gorgonian too (dead or alive..) .... also coral replicas (fake coral) can work well too.. also you can have coral with Seahorses such as Xenia, Mushrooms, and some other soft coral..... make sure they are eating Frozen Mysis shrimp... you will have to feed them at least once a day... they do not like alot of current.. for more info. about them go to:

www.seahorse.org (i like this one better... there are more members.)

www.syngnathid.org

hth

-josh

P.S. Snails are good... hermit crabs are ok.. but IMHO they are not NEEDED in ANY tank.. so you will be fine with out them

firefishbrain

thanks if you could get me the demensions and brand type and stuff, that would be really nice thanks, now about that power head, just like a 110ish gph ok? k so I just gotta know that height is a factor, oh and I know that you can keep softies with sh's but will be a spotlight to the cool fish.

oh and no hermits then don't want them if I don't need to have them, me doing snails though.

um... also I forgot.. this is very important.. they need temps of 72-75 degrees.. constant... srry AGA (all glass aquariums) webtsite is down.. or else i would tell you.. srry i cant help with dimensions

If you're limited to a 15 gallon...I wouldn't get the horses. I raise Erectus seahorses. A 15 would be fine for a growout tank but not for a full grown reidi (6"-8"). Do you have plans to later upgrade the tank?

You could look at Capensis but they do like cooler water. Please visit Seahorse.org for all you'll ever want to know about seahorses.

Carolyn

firefishbrain

k thanks I'll look into it, I'm not sure what species it was, but I find out what are good species that are smaller tank oriented, that aren't pygmy...

firefishbrain

according to seahorses.org I can keep kuda, barbouri, erectus, reidi, fuscus, comes, procerus at 74-78*. whitei and tuberculatu at 70-74* and capensis and breviceps at 66-72* pobly won't do the cooler water species, don't wanna have to worry whether or not I would have to eventually get a chiller. all of these I can keep at about 5-8g per pair, so that would be cool, now.....TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Someone pls elaborate, as reiterating the same three things every day gets old. I'll have to assume it'll be done right, as I'm staying the HELL out of this thread.

hmmmm........well, so far, yes, 15h would be best, but even a single pair of hippocampus reidii would be pushing it, the get big, a good 8 inches at normal. my suggestion, a trio of hippocampus barbori, the get about 5" at adulthood. that is what im doing with my 10g, pair od hippocampus barbori. so far, i have everything but the glass lid, 4lbs LR, 10lbs LS and my macroalgea. you NEED a filter/pump, but remember,m seahorses = moderate/low flow, in my 10g, im using a cascade 300, 70 GPH, a 7x turnover. yes, avoid most hermits, snails, certain brittle stars, and sea hares = good for ocean ponies. and NO, in theory you CANNOT keep more if you have more macro, and YES, size IS an issue with ocean ponies.

firefishbrain

after resaeching a bit more I realize an't overstock like in some fw planted tank cases, actually I did check out snoop's thread, but the reason I'm doing this tread is because of tank size and I'm doing sh only with clean up if I do this at all, I'm going to look at tigah boy's tank again he had a 15H with a pair of sh's and it looks pretty good, lots of space for them and whatnot. I will only do a pair unless it is a smaller species and they don't gouge my pocket money of every last penny I have, If I do this, this is what will happen:

-15gal HIGH

-HOB filter (probly penguin not sure what model haven't gone into details yet)

-2, or maybe 3 seahorses (temerate species from that 74-78* list)

-tons o macro for hitches

-13-15lbs of LR (any suggestions of from where)

-no corals at all (I know you can keep them, but it doesn't mean you should)

-cleanup crew consisting of mostly snails, MAYBE hermits

-small powerhead at top of tank for surface agitation.

and that would be it. anything I might have missed pleez let me know so I know whether or not this is even worth doing (the SH's I get will be captive bred, so I will make sure they eat frozen mysid)... now I will go do more research on wittling done that ginormous list of possible specimans.

after resaeching a bit more I realize an't overstock like in some fw planted tank cases, actually I did check out snoop's thread, but the reason I'm doing this tread is because of tank size and I'm doing sh only with clean up if I do this at all, I'm going to look at tigah boy's tank again he had a 15H with a pair of sh's and it looks pretty good, lots of space for them and whatnot. I will only do a pair unless it is a smaller species and they don't gouge my pocket money of every last penny I have, If I do this, this is what will happen:

-15gal HIGH

-HOB filter (probly penguin not sure what model haven't gone into details yet)

-2, or maybe 3 seahorses (temerate species from that 74-78* list)

-tons o macro for hitches

-13-15lbs of LR (any suggestions of from where)

-no corals at all (I know you can keep them, but it doesn't mean you should)

-cleanup crew consisting of mostly snails, MAYBE hermits

-small powerhead at top of tank for surface agitation.

and that would be it. anything I might have missed pleez let me know so I know whether or not this is even worth doing (the SH's I get will be captive bred, so I will make sure they eat frozen mysid)... now I will go do more research on wittling done that ginormous list of possible specimans.

sounds good, but my suggestion, dont do TOO much LR, in a 15g, you may want only about 7 or so lbs of LR, and alot of macro. remember, reidii ponies get about 8" tall, my persoanl favorite (as stated) are the barbori, they only get about 5" at adulthood.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

id go with a 20 or 30g tall. the taller the better. i think 5 times the height of the sea horse is standard. (fully extended)

lots of critters inside the lr that can harm your sea horse, so set up the tank a few months before getting your sea horse, that way you'll have time to rid the lr of harmful critters.

firefishbrain

in my 12g It was a month an a half before I added my first coral, a small zoo frag, I know that patience pays off (my cycle time was a week and a half) I've wittled it down to h. kuda or h. erectus.

I also forgot about one more thing I need a protein skimmer, could I replace the powerhead with this or do both, probly depends on what brand I buy doesn't it?

I will only do one pair cb

_kuda: active, sixinch max "easy to keep"

-erectus "easy" and "easy to raise fry", 6-8inch max

leaning towards the kuda, anyone who has SH's, what your opinion on ocean rider if I couldn't get some nice ones from a LFS?

k reidi has been brought back for consideration, everything seems to contridict itself, kuda are large "up to 10"'s " and erectus get up to 8"'s, reidi get up to 6"'s.

firefishbrain

I might do a 20h, depends what stores have and if I can get it for just a little bit extra don't wanna be paying 50$ more for a 20 if it's just 5 more gallons (which would only turn out to be 2-4 more inches)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

here in canada, i paid $23 for a 15 tall, $30 for a 20 tall and $43 for a 30 tall (miricle aquariums with black sylicone)

thats canadian prices, so i imagen prices in the us will be even cheaper.

the 15 is 10" x 20" x 16.5"tall, the 30 is 2' x 1' x 22" tall and i believe the 20 is 6 inches shorter (give or take an inch) same foot print as the 30.

both the 20 and 30 are thicker glass than the 15.

heres the 30

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/productlist.html#custom

post-14938-1138559675_thumb.jpg

Snoop: No. I'm staying out of the reef forums from, ah, two weeks ago on. Heh.

Archived