Coral Vue Hydros

Purple Macro Algae

reefpeace

Can anyone identify this purple macro algae for me? It has been in my tank for a while now and is quite nice to look at. Is there anything special I should know to take care of it? Should I trim it?

post-17519-1138457241_thumb.jpg

No clue but what color of hammer in the background is that.

Actually, it's a branching frogspawn - brownish polyps with green tips. Here's a pic close-up...

frogspawn.jpg

Can anyone identify this purple macro algae for me? It has been in my tank for a while now and is quite nice to look at. Is there anything special I should know to take care of it? Should I trim it?
I can't ID it but I have it as well. Mine doesn't seem to grow too fast so I would wait to trim it. Personally I wish it would grow a bit faster it's got a nice color.
I'm the same guy as reefer9391

Wow that pack pretty nicely for a FS the Fs at my LFS is kinda like an annome (SP) I'm look for some neon green something like that or a hammer mabye I'll give you a call when I could buy a piece. I'll keep you in my PMs box.

Diane, you are a walking encyclopedia! There was a lot of information in these links but I managed to find this...

http://www.algaebase.org/imagedetail.lasso...3980ESWR33D9294

It is the closest match that I could find in the ten minutes I had to look tonight (specifically, there is a piece with a tapered tip in the picture but maybe that just snuck into the picture?). My rock was from Jakarta (I noticed that the picture was taken in Taiwan) but I am not sure if that counts for anything geographically. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, well, I don't know about that (the 'encyclopedia' part, I mean!--I just collect links)...I suspect finding the names of certain algae is about as difficult as finding certain corals--based on microspopic characteristics, etc. And the more I look at your very nice picture the less I think it looks a whole lot like Amphiroa...Algaebase is great if you already have some idea of what you're looking for but otherwise hard to search, I think...still, we may be on the right track.

Stealhealr had an interesting thread a few months ago or so about an invasive red alga he had. He managed to find a place to send off a sample for ID.

Whatever it is, it's a great looking species you have there.

--Diane

Archived