Cultivated Reef

caluerpa going sexual?

CrazyAggie05

hey yall, i keep hearing about caluerpa going sexual and taking over or leaking nutrients yadda yadda yadda... some people say dont use the stuff, others love it. what does it really mean when ppl say its going sexual? how can it release nutrients back into the water? i have a huge fast growing clump of grape caluerpa in my fuge... and it definately outgrows my chaeto... but im still fighting a red slime algae outbreak (its only in the fuge oddly enough!) so what gives

hey yall, i keep hearing about caluerpa going sexual and taking over or leaking nutrients yadda yadda yadda... some people say dont use the stuff, others love it. what does it really mean when ppl say its going sexual? how can it release nutrients back into the water? i have a huge fast growing clump of grape caluerpa in my fuge... and it definately outgrows my chaeto... but im still fighting a red slime algae outbreak (its only in the fuge oddly enough!) so what gives

From what I know if it starts to turn clear or white, then the process has started.

It breaks down and releases its makeup back into the water. The main thing I did not like about the stuff is the roots that penatrate the DSB when you put it out it takes a bunch of sand or crushed coral with it. Don't get it wrong but it's a good marco to have but the risks. Most go for simple like cheato.

ah ok cool.... i just picked out all the little bits that were growing in my chaeto, so hopefully that chaeto will take off.... as far as the caleurpa, maybe thats why i have a slime algae outbreak in my refugium.... the main ball of caluerpa is green, but there are some tips protruding that are clearish... i just thought they were new parts that were rapidly growing? so those are parts that are releasing junk? are all the little balls on grape caleurpa spore capsules?

ah ok cool.... i just picked out all the little bits that were growing in my chaeto, so hopefully that chaeto will take off.... as far as the caleurpa, maybe thats why i have a slime algae outbreak in my refugium.... the main ball of caluerpa is green, but there are some tips protruding that are clearish... i just thought they were new parts that were rapidly growing? so those are parts that are releasing junk? are all the little balls on grape caleurpa spore capsules?

pull it out! crapo! Why take the risk? My sump is looking nice and green. LOL!

post-16531-1138499365_thumb.jpg

post-16531-1138499383_thumb.jpg

oo you gotta nice big ball of chaeto! ill try taking out the caulerpa, and hopefully the chaeto will spring up!

I had grape caluerpa for 6 months, tank was never better, never went sexual. Soo many people say go with chaeto, it's safe. So I switched, and then came the red slime and hair algae! Switch back to grape caluerpa, bye bye slime and hair. I would take grape caluerpa over chaeto any day.

oo you gotta nice big ball of chaeto! ill try taking out the caulerpa, and hopefully the chaeto will spring up!

You can leave itin if you want. but just keep an eye on it. Mine started turning on me, when I did a test,buy turning off the sump light. If you leave your sump light on for 24/7 then it stays at growth. This is what I have learned so far.

hmmm i run my fuge light 12 hrs a day like my main tank since its in my bedroom.... i have 15 watts over the little hang on tank aquafuge, and its growing like a weed, so maybe it gets enough light during the day...

Archived