Pod Your Reef

lil hitchhiker Crab I found tonight.

floppyfish

Have no idea what he could be he's so small. Can't tell what color he is. Of course the actinics don't help and I am not resetting my timer on my day bulb.

He has to have been here since I got the tank. I never got any new rock after I started 5-6 months ago.

Too bad he doesn't come out in the day. Otherwise I could prolly get a better pic. That, and if I had a tripod. Taking macro's without one and try'n to get a good picture is tuff.

You can tell how small he is by comparing the sand grains around him. Wonder where he lives? Hmmmm....

if it is a porcelin (can't really tell with the actinics), then yeah, they are reef safe. very pretty too. they are filter feeders and your gonna want to feed the tank some sort of micro food. they feed by extending food "nets" and catching small planctonic food particles as they float by.

Well their must be something in there for him to eat! I haven't added any rock for 6 months. Thats the only way I think he could have gotten in their. I know he didn't come on a fish or one of the small frags.

Originally posted by Korbin

That's not a crab.  That's a Pokemon!

when i read this i lauged so hard i choked on my raspberry soda and it came of my nose. :|

• 1 month later...

Good, adinsxq, that was my intention.:)

Sadly, I discovered one of these crabs in my tank last night too. I'm pretty sure its not a porcelin crab. It was scraping the rocks with claws. It was real tiny too. Anybody ever figure out what it is? Has it touched any corals?

i had a couple of em in my tank they are a reef crab or that what i seen on em they are harmless algea eaters but the get big and i cought mine and took em out because they started knocking stuff over but they are cool intill they get big very very secretive

cam b

If it's a porcelain crab, it will have two feather like appendages that it runs infront of it's mouth 90% of the time. I got a hitchiker porcelain crab, day it appeared it ate my cleaner shrimp but hasn't sinned since. Apparently they are mainly filter feeders but will be predators if the opportunity arises.

Spudds.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but here's the B@$t@rd that I took out of my tank last night. I thougt it would be okay since it was fairly small, but when I saw it eating a couple of snails last week, I knew I had to take him out.

DSCN0180_Small.JPG

cant yo see how sad the crab is he was only playing with the snails but like edward scissor hands he has claws for hands so the snails got hurt. Anyway i bet the snail dont look quite so sad when he is put bck in someones tank.

p.s Laker like your new tank overhaul thingy N1

I don't know what the little guy is, but I will offer this. Most crabs are predatory when opportunity arrises, which is why most are not desirable in a reef tank. The best behaved in general are emeralds (Mithrax) and porcelains (Petrolisthes and Neopetrolisthes). The one above is definitely not either of these. It probably scavenges on left over food and eats small inverts it finds in your tank.

Archived