Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

red cabage like algae

izzie

I have some kinda macro i think in my tank and im pretty sure it stong my torch coral to the point i lost 2 of the heads on it. The torch was coming in contact with it and those 2 heads died. Its kind looks like a dark burgandy red cabage leaf or lettuce leaf. There to small to get a pic of or i would post one. Anyone have any ideas what this might be. It looks hard and its growing off the side of the rock.

Thanks

Izzie

Its kind looks like a dark burgandy red cabage leaf or lettuce leaf. There to small to get a pic of or i would post one.

I have some similar sounding dtuff in my tank. Always wondered what it was.

I have some kinda macro i think in my tank and im pretty sure it stong my torch coral to the point i lost 2 of the heads on it. The torch was coming in contact with it and those 2 heads died. Its kind looks like a dark burgandy red cabage leaf or lettuce leaf. There to small to get a pic of or i would post one. Anyone have any ideas what this might be. It looks hard and its growing off the side of the rock.

Thanks

Izzie

yea..micro algae doesnt sting...

here are some pix of what im talkin about, can anyone ID?, it actually spreads pretty fast.

-Mike

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

btw, its not corroline, like on the right side of the bottom pik. Its definately some kind of macro.

Yeah thats exactly it but mine a really dark red almost maroon. And im sure it stung my torch so im wondering if its some kinda coral not a macro. My torch only died off where it touched this stuff the rest of it is healthy as can be.

No, its definately macro, ive peeled it off, and checked it out. But it can irritate some corals. maybe thats why your torch didnt like it?

-Mke

I think I have some too! In the background here, probably closer to the color he is describing. Sorry it's not clearer, the alge wasn't the purpose of the shot.

Pico1-12-06030.jpg

Also, that website is really cool! Tons of info, I've bookmarked it.

Thx Diane, Looks like it is definately a species of "Lobophora", Does anybody know if it is a big problem. I just pick mine off.

-Mike

Archived