Sterilize used tank

TiGs

I bought a used acrylic tank. I was thinking about using bleach to sterilize the tank. Any negatives about using bleach or other methods to sterilize an acrylic tank?

TIA

I bought a used acrylic tank. I was thinking about using bleach to sterilize the tank. Any negatives about using bleach or other methods to sterilize an acrylic tank?

TIA

Why do you want to "sterilize" the tank?

I'd just use vinegar to clean it well. You also want to be VERY sure that no copper based meds were used in the tank. It can get into the siilicone (is the silicone a blueish color?) and leach back out. No amount of cleaning will help that.

hey tigs, it's been a long time. Nice to see you back man. I don't recommend HCl for this as I don't know if it will mess with the polymers in the plastic. I think if you just wash the tank real well and let it sit for a while, you'll be okay. whatever buggers that were in it will most likely die; if not from the drying, then from the concentration of the sw. If you want, I can ask the guy that does my acrylic tanks for confirmation

Nips

ps.

So how about that starphire you were supposed to get back to me on... Wouldn't mind getting your 14 either =) Do you feel like a trade or selling or anything like that?

It has been a long time. Lot's of changes in my life, moved twice and got married. Now I'm not allowed to dump money into my hobbies anymore :( At least I get to start up a reef tank again, but on a budget.

Let me ask again about that starphire. I'm thinking about keeping my 14g and using it as a sump, if not I can trade or sell.

So how about that starphire you were supposed to get back to me on... Wouldn't mind getting your 14 either =) Do you feel like a trade or selling or anything like that?

I agree with "doncb" regarding using vinegar. I have pruchased used tanks and distilled white vinegar was great for cleaning followed by a hot water rinse to remove all traces of the vinegar...

Good luck with the tank!

I have used bleach on plastics before and it usually destroyed them. I am to scared to try it on acryllic. Usually the plastic looks fine and then you fill it with water and it cracks.

You can use Potassium Permaganate to stirilize acryllic tanks. I think it is available at the drug or hardware store but I can't remember what name it goes by.

hey i have a relating question too.

I have this 10g glass tank that was a turtle tank until it died and how no matter how hard i clean it, it smells like poop, is there a way to clean the tank and get rid of the smell

What would the trace amounts of the copper based medicine in the silicone hurt? Is there proof that this amount would cause damage? If so I am looking for another tank. What would be affected by this copper?

hey i have a relating question too.

I have this 10g glass tank that was a turtle tank until it died and how no matter how hard i clean it, it smells like poop, is there a way to clean the tank and get rid of the smell

Bleach water is fine on glass, just rinse thoroughly w/fresh water, any remaining chlorine will safely evaporate. I've been using bleach water to clean all my glass tanks for years. Acrylic, OTOH, I have no idea.

You can use Potassium Permaganate to stirilize acryllic tanks. I think it is available at the drug or hardware store but I can't remember what name it goes by.
Wouln't this stain the acrylic purple or brown?

What would the trace amounts of the copper based medicine in the silicone hurt? Is there proof that this amount would cause damage? If so I am looking for another tank. What would be affected by this copper?
Many reef fish and most every invert is very copper sensetive, thus the warning"not safe for inverts" on most medications.

In high high doses I could see where the copper could cause damage if you were to dose a tank. But the question was what would the copper that would be residual in the silicone, if any harm in the tank? I have shrimp in my tank now how long would I wait to see the ill effects? What reef fish would be affected by this copper? Not trying to start something its just there are so many rules that seem to lack basis and facts and sometimes I like to see stated facts and studies, that show these things before I go throwing good money after bad. Sorry if it sounds like I am jumping your case I am not just a ill that everytime I read something there is a new rule :huh: and I can never find a study to support it.

• 2 weeks later...

They say copper is harmful to inverts, I don't how much copper will leach back into the tank.

Copper is used as medication for fish, so your fish should not be affected in such low dosage.

Most people would rather caution on the side of saftey and not risk using a glass tank that has been medicated with copper

okay bleach got it

Just dillute a little bit in some hot water, and make sure you let everything evaporate after you are done so no bleach is left.

neanderthalman

Big Al, there is no study to support it as a study hasn't been done. This is an observation made by the community that tanks that were once dosed with copper can't seem to hold inverts.

The blue/green color of the medication is the result of the copper II/III ions, and if the silicone turns green, it's because it's absorbed the copper. If the silicone is porous enough to absorb the copper, it can easily leach the copper back out into the water. Is this in enough concentration to harm corals and inverts? Not sure, but I know that it doesn't take much copper to kill a reef.

You are more than welcome to risk killing every coral you put in your tank in order to save a few bucks on buying a new aquarium. I won't stop you.

Archived