Driftwood in the Nano Reef?

aqua_aaron

just wondering why you never see any driftwood in nano reefs? does it have any negative impact on the system? if not, i'd try some...

any thoughts on this?

thanks

aqua_aaron

besides being alien to the biotope, doesn't wood depress pH by organic acid decay? i thought freshies used it to 'soften' water or something.

i know fresh talk.

besides being alien to the biotope, doesn't wood depress pH by organic acid decay? i thought freshies used it to 'soften' water or something.

i know fresh talk.

Yes, it does.

its not necessarily alien to the biotope- if you are doing a mangrove flat setup, or open grass flat (seahorses), driftwood from an island could easily make it there (think of all of the storms that occur)...

so i guess you would just have to have good pH buffering.

The nano Lance

Why not try large blocks of ice? I saw that in the ocean one time. Or maybe a small tire or other assorted trash, there is always some floating in harbors. I say go for it, you never know until you try!

One of the guys over on RC has bottles and such in his tank (it's the one that's been up and running for 35 years).

Driftwood... would it start to rot? That would be my concern.

One of the guys over on RC has bottles and such in his tank (it's the one that's been up and running for 35 years).

Driftwood... would it start to rot? That would be my concern.

It doesn't really rot fast at all in freshwater tanks. I've had some in my tanks for years. The only bad part is that they do tend to seep some color (from the tannins in the wood) at first. I wouldn't consider putting any in a sw tank. I keep them in my fw tanks and have attached long mosses to them for my ghost shrimp to hide in...cory cats also love it. Enough fw talk though!

Archived