inTank Media Baskets

Zeuss Zoso's 60g FOWLR

zeuss zoso

I am going to have this FOWLR for about a year and then buy new lights and get some corals in there. :D

Here is what I am looking at:

130w Aqua Light Single Strip Lights

Sea Clone100 Protein Skimmer

MSF 304 Fluval Multi-Stage Filtration Canister Filter 260gph, 50-85 gallon

Maxi Jet 400 Powerhead

250w Stealth Heater

40lbs Fji Live Rock (to start)

60 pounds Fiji Pink sand or something like it (carribean)

Livestock:

2 False Percula Clowns

1 Kole Tang or Yellow tang(something in the tang family)

1 Six line wrasse

2-3 others (undecided)

Cleanup:

2 cleaner shrimp

25 assorted snails

2-3 hermit crabs

Tell me how this looks as far as plans go.

Thnks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just ordered the equipment which should come in fri. to sat. and then I am getting the tank and stand, hopefully put water in on sat. then live rock and sand on sun. will pst pics later

the tank is 48by21*17 or sumthing like that

I think it looks good so far but your fish, if you want a reef in a year keep a low bio-load in the tank. Just plan on all reef safe small fish that stay smaller because of the bio-load, you do not want phosphate issues before you start your reef. Hope that makes sense.....

For that sized tank, yoru fish list looks fine, even for a reef, so I don't know why Saltwater said what he said.

Looks great, just be sure to set the tank up like a reef (except for lighting, what you have now should be fine for LR) because in time, you are going to want to make this into a reef.

Good luck!

Ok I thought about this some more.....LOL

What do you want in your reef.... Softies or SPS?

Are you looking for flow and are you adding sand?

I said about the fish because a yellow tang is a large bio-load in a 60g tank.......... Tangs produce a lot of waste........ Which could create problems later on & tangs as adults are not considered completely reef safe, they are know to nip corals.

BTW, I just read over your list again. It looks like you may want to up your water flow. Fish can benifit from good waterflow just as corals do.

a Yellow tang can be kept in a 50g reef with no problems. Besides, he has a skimmer and a good amount of LR.

thanks for the input...

i am gonna keep some mushrooms and other low light corals, and finger leathers

i added water and it is still clearing up because it is 65 degrees cus i dont have my equipment yet...hopefully it will come tomorrw

i am also getting 40lbs Fiji live rock and 40 lbs of bahama oolite sand...all tomorrow

here is an updated pic w/ water

CIMG0011.jpg

i added 20lbs of live sand and 40lbs of live rock

here are some pics but the tank is really cloudy but i had to put the rocks in so i dunno what it looks like...

live rock

CIMG0015.jpg

tank after adding lR and lS

CIMG0013.jpg

Awesome dude. I have the same thing. I have a 60g tank that I will be turning into a FOWLR tank. I cant wait to see more pictures. BTW, the water should be able to clear up within a couple of hours.

WHOA! :blink:

Now that's cloudy! You can't even see the rocks......

Did you put the sand in slowly with just a little water or did you dump it all in after the tank was full? Usually clears up overnight due to the sand but the water will be cloudy through the cycle - it shouldn't be that bad but you should be able to see the rocks dude.

Stan

that was before i added the rocks... its still pretty much the same...i just poured the whole thing in cus it was heavy and i didnt want to deal with waiting and all that nonsense....shows ya what impatience leads to..

BTW, what should i put in the filter as media....and also in the protein skimmer how long does it take for the frothy stuff to form?

thanks

Well you have the Fluval right? I guess that would be your filter media. Man I just threw a brain fart and I cant remember what I did for this. My skimmer took like a week to really get that nasty crap. It started to skim right away but it was less intense in color. Now it's like fudge.

haha sounds good....thanks for all the help....and what about my flow? i have the in flow from fluval, the protein skimmer and a maxijet 400

do i need anything else or am i set? thanks

nahh...my dad didn't want to make any permanant decisions...oh well....

i just hate having a bunch of wires and things in the tanks.....but if its necessary i will.....prolly one more maxijet 600 or 1200 to get thing reall going

Well this is the deal. The reason I asked if that tank was drilled was because you could have done a closed loop thing where you wouldn't have needed the powerheads. I think they take some attraction of the tank. The closed loops are perfect because they go on the back of the tank. But since it's not drilled then I think you might want to put some more flow in there. I guess the maxijets will be ok. I heard that there are some that even move from side to side to give you flow all over the tank. But they are a bit high on price.

alright....its clearing up ok now but its still pretty cloudy but i can at least see the rocks....unfortunately for some reason photobucket wont upload pics so i cant post any right now...

when can i add a cleanup crew???im geussing after it comletely clears up and water levels look good.

To add a clean crew I think you should wait til the cycle is done. But I have heard of people adding them while the cycle is in process. You are going to have a major brown algae (Diatoms) explosion soon. The best thing for that I think is Turbo snails.

alrighty then..ill research that some....the water cloudiness is really ####### me off though and i am worried i screwed up but i think it will get better with time....i will give it 1 week to get crystal clear or im gonan hev to do a major water change or sumthing drastics!!

lol

thanks

Archived