Top Shelf Aquatics

Nasty Algea in a 12g Aquapod

Herfinater12

I have a 12 gallon aquapod, and my first problem is that the temperature will not go down. Right now it is staying around 82 F but constant. Now my problem is that with such a high temperature algea is growing very quickly. I am seeing a lot of "hairline" algea ( I don't know if thats what it is called, but it is a green/brown grassy looking) And I need help figuring out how to keep it under conrtol. I have 4 electric blue hermit crabs in there now and they just aren't cutting it. What else can I get to help?

fatkidreeftank

hey i've got turbos running (slowly) around my 12g ncdx and they're not touching it. it's been up and running for over 5 months and won't go away....any help :angry:

hey i've got turbos running (slowly) around my 12g ncdx and they're not touching it. it's been up and running for over 5 months and won't go away....any help :angry:

As far as the temperature, I det my 12g Aquapod to 75 degrees. During the day when the lights are on, the temp ranges from 78-80 degrees but no more than that. And at night it goes down to around 74-76. Just my 2 cents.

I would pickup a turbo (make sure your rock structure and corals are secured) and triple your hermits. Get the cheap blue reef safe ones my lfs has them for like a $1 a piece and gives quanity discounts. If you have fish in the tank reduce feedings and move to 0 phosphate frozen over flakes. All new tanks go through these phases and usually good nutrient control will get you through it.

I had this problem and another thing that helped was cutting down the time that your lights are on during the day. How long do you keep your lights on?

I had this problem and another thing that helped was cutting down the time that your lights are on during the day. How long do you keep your lights on?

Right now I have the lights on 10 hours/ day. I got 2 turbo snails and they are making a drastic change already to the algea. Thanks for all the advice.

Archived