sugar sand?

ugination87

Hello everybody.

i recently saw a display tank with sugar sand. it seems like this sand would blow around easily? also, do they come as live sand too or no.. and where can i get some?

redneck reefer

Stability of sand depends on amount of current in tank. Just be very careful when first placed in tank, one grain under glass cleaner or sponge will scratch the @*#! out of your glass, trust me... After several weeks, sand will develope film which holds it in place pretty well. I used Quikrete PLAYSAND in my 20H and it looks cool but man can it scratch that glass quick. Don't think I would go that fine again. Good luck... B)

aragalive oolite, im not sure about the bacteria that comes with the sand , people say its a waste but I liked the look of the sand so thats what I used in my 6 gallon. Costs about 15 a bag. If i had a big tank I would use playsand though.

Hello everybody.

i recently saw a display tank with sugar sand. it seems like this sand would blow around easily? also, do they come as live sand too or no.. and where can i get some?

dont get it...i gets everywhere and messes up the display!

I thought about the same thing in my 100g, but to my surprise the sand didn't blow around at all. It did in the beginning, but it cleared up and pretty much stays put now :D.

Hello everybody.

I recommend buying sand from DrsFosterSmith as you can't beat the shipped price, the Aragamax is a good aragonite sugar-size product.

If you are running a 10g with an AC110, the sand might blow around if you don't keep the water level high enough in the tank....

Buying it "live" is a waste, since all that means is the sand has bacteria growing (i.e. no pods, microrganisms, etc.) and is submerged in water (which you pay for)... 20 lbs of dry sand is a lot more volume then 20 lbs of live sand.

If you think you need some bacteria to start your cycle, just buy a bottle of Stability or similar product for less then 10 bucks and add that with the sand...

Southdown is OK. The oolitic sand is best. Be very careful about buying and using playsand in your tank..unless its the southdown-oolitic or araonite stuff. The basic playsand you find in sandboxes is basically silica based sand..which more than likely may cause an increase in silica in your tank water. Bad news if you dont like the brown diatoms all over everything...

Do a search for this stuff..others may have a better answer.

Archived