Pod Your Reef

strange things, what are these?

latazyo

alright, I found some new stuff emerging after my first 4 or so days of having my new Live Rock...just hoping you can help out

this looks a lot different than the other anemone identified as aiptasia...hopefully it is beneficial, as it is very attractive

10gswanemone2.JPG

I have no idea what this could be...it moves, but never to the naked eye, very very slowly, I have about 3 or 4 of these

10gswwhitething.JPG

is this a mantis shrimp? it doesn't move very much, I think it may be dying...

10gswshrimp.JPG

I also have a fuzzy legged red crab, is that thing safe, I have a few of them...one is pretty big (about the size of a silver dollar including legs)

thanks again for the help

Leighton

i dunno bout any of that stuff. the brown thing looks like it might be a mantis, but mantis ussually sit in holes

and generally any crab with hairy legs will be very bad for your reef. is it a hermit? hairy hermits get huge and will eat anything

Pic#3 is a Mantis Shrimp there are many varieties of mantis some not as red as others. There are a few mantis shrimp out there that are downright beautiful. You did not inherit one of them;)

Who'd you get the live rock from. Most of the stuff I purchase at LFS is pretty picked over no goodies, well almost none. I've got a chiton several unidentified snails and had a mantis shrimp(he has been evicted)

#2 is almost definately a sea cucumber. they eat detritus, and if #3 was dead or dying, it makes sense that it was sucked up. it shouldn't be harmful (indeed, it'll probably be helpful) unless it dies, or gets poked too much, in which case, it'll spit out its guts. a delicacy in japan, aparantly.

i can't really tell what #3 is, but it looks like some sort of britlely worm. good/bad/ugly? i have no idea.

Archived