ReefCleaners.org

Post cycle question

MVS

I have my tank up and running for over 6 weeks now; the live rock and water was transferred from a tank I had running for three weeks. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 nitrate subsided to 0, 2 -weeks to this date. PH is at 8.2 and alk is about 4.5. I’ve had 3 Astraea snails and 2 Nassarius snails for a good 3 weeks now; they were added due to an algae outbreak and worked perfectly.

So now I can get to the point. I was thinking that today I could add one scarlet hermit crab and one mushroom. Then wait a good two or three weeks and add a ricordea, wait some more, add a polyp, wait some, etc.

So my question is whether or not adding a hermit and a mushroom today is too early since the cycle has completed?

Thanks

Hermits should be fine. I added 5 or 6 blue-legged hermits after week 4 (my nano aquarium had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates for well over a week). Once diatoms and algae start to bloom, you have a food source for hermit crabs. Your water conditions seem good for a mushroom as well, although make sure the params stay consistent for several days before adding any other polyps and/or corals. Since your nano is new, you'll probably see cyano (I'm just starting to see more of that now) form on your LR in addition to more diatoms within the substrate. This is normal. Cyano usually subsides after 2-3 months (I'm still in my 1st month and the turbo snail seems to eat the cyano, contrary to what others have said in nano-reef).

The key is to add livestock gradually to allow your water params and bacterial colonies to adjust. You'd probably be safe adding a small percula clown or a jawfish (if you have 3"+ of substrate) if your water params can hold steady.

I didn’t think that the addition would be too much for the tank to handle at this point but it’s always good to get some suggestions. Yeah, the diatoms have definitely formed on my substrate. I try to very gently move the top surface during water changes just to ensure that an excessive amount does not form. I have yet to see any cayno, I guess if or when it does appear, water changes and time will take of care of the outbreak.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Does anyone else have any beneficial input?

I didn’t think that the addition would be too much for the tank to handle at this point but it’s always good to get some suggestions. Yeah, the diatoms have definitely formed on my substrate. I try to very gently move the top surface during water changes just to ensure that an excessive amount does not form. I have yet to see any cayno, I guess if or when it does appear, water changes and time will take of care of the outbreak.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Does anyone else have any beneficial input?

Fish4dinner, did you see that this is a NC6? I have to disagree with the clown/jawfish for two reasons, a clown and 6g wont fit (dont think a jawfis hwill either), and it is too early. Add a larger cleanup crew (2-3 hermits, a couple more snails) only. Let your tank mature more, wait a couple more months and just watch your LR. Really, just do it. Just run lights a little less, let the diatoms be, crew will feed on them. Give the LR a chance to get established, the addition of a fish and or corals will just impede the buildup of the LR/LS organisms.

Even tho you added water and LR from another tank, it was only 3 weeks old. I would say you are onnly 1 1/2 months into your cycle, wait at a minimum 3 monthts to complete the cycle, then slowly add as you stated.

Archived