inTank Media Baskets

little pink something

SoS

little pink something. dammit man, you can't set up a lob like that.

Anyway, it actually looks a little like a leather with long polyp extension, or possible a gonipora type coral. What does it look like closed up?

that is close-up those tentacle ends are tiny maybe 3 or 4 MM across. That whole pink thing as i said is less than an inch across and maybe half an inch high.

Originally posted by sjpresley

Really looks like a little Sarcophyton sp.

Pretty cool, it should grow up to be a nice looking leather.

I did a little research on that one I couldn't find a close-up to compare but I noticed the recommended care was high flow/ high light so i moved it up into one of my higher flow areas.

Any tips on care, I'm no leather expert.

This would be my first one. Although it 3 times bigger than it started and I haven't killed it in 6 months :D

Most leathers are pretty hardy once established, the fact that it was doing so well were it was would have convinced me to just leave it alone.

"If it ain't broke..."

I have one of these in my tank too so I was glad to run across this post. Mine has been growing slowly over a few months as well so I figured that I shouldn't change anything. Mine will actually retract more into its base if it gets bothered a lot by something. Or it may just be pulling back into the rock it sits in, kind of hard to see what its base is resting in on the rock.

Originally posted by spoondigity

I have one of these in my tank too so I was glad to run across this post.   Mine has been growing slowly over a few months as well so I figured that I shouldn't change anything.   Mine will actually retract more into its base if it gets bothered a lot by something.  Or it may just be pulling back into the rock it sits in, kind of hard to see what its base is resting in on the rock.

Yes when it retracts it almost totally retracts except for a little pink smudge on the rock.

i saw one of those at my lfs cept it is green im thinking of getn one of them but i forgot the name b4 i got home lol any info on em would help like wat family of coral they are from and care ect.,Chris

Originally posted by cjm033

i saw one of those at my lfs cept it is green im thinking of getn one of them but i forgot the name b4 i got home lol any info on em would help like wat family of coral they are from and care ect.,Chris

Don't ya love it. You do all this research at home. Then you get to the LFS and you look at something and go "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" and like a dumbass you buy it anyway. Then ya get it home and find out its the glass-eating Raptor wrasse of tittykaka. DOHX).

I've thought of making a small binder of referance material so I know what the hell I'm looking at when i get there.

Archived