Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HOB refugiums. yay or nay?

chromey

I saw some HOB refugiums on some website earlier this week (had never seen such a concept before) and was wondering people's opinions on them. I've always been looking at putting a fuge under my tank, but from what I've always read, most fuges are DIY and I have absolutely no DIY skill when it comes to working with acrylics. The HOB I saw was ~$100, so I'm not sure if that $100 is worth it or if I should just invest in an under the tank fuge with that money.

they're OK. What I mean by that is that you can't get as much "stuff" in one as you could in, say, a standard 10 gallon aquarium. You can buy an aquarium for $10, then just stick an overflow on your show tank, and a pump in your fuge, and voila, there it is. Very little DIY.

I saw some HOB refugiums on some website earlier this week (had never seen such a concept before) and was wondering people's opinions on them. I've always been looking at putting a fuge under my tank, but from what I've always read, most fuges are DIY and I have absolutely no DIY skill when it comes to working with acrylics. The HOB I saw was ~$100, so I'm not sure if that $100 is worth it or if I should just invest in an under the tank fuge with that money.

IMHO HOB fuges are great, they are cost efficiant, and serve the same way as an under tank one would. i acctually have an emperor 400(gph) HOB i need to sell, and what great about the emps, is that they have a really deep main chamber, so you are able to get a deeper snadbed in, i would also never charge $100 thats a bit much, for ANY HOB, im acctually looking for around $35-$30 (as its used) but yeah, IMHO HOB are good

IMHO HOB fuges are great, they are cost efficiant, and serve the same way as an under tank one would. i acctually have an emperor 400(gph) HOB i need to sell, and what great about the emps, is that they have a really deep main chamber, so you are able to get a deeper snadbed in, i would also never charge $100 thats a bit much, for ANY HOB, im acctually looking for around $35-$30 (as its used) but yeah, IMHO HOB are good

Hell, I'll buy it from you if you're looking to sell it ;p

Hell, I'll buy it from you if you're looking to sell it ;p

YES! you are TEH BOMB!!!!! lol, been trying to sell it, making my 10g FOWLR and my blizzard leopard gecko breeding project. :happydance::haha: so, $35? pm me, and i can give you my address for payment.

I use a HOB fuge and it works great. I have a 10g sump under the main tank but there's not enough room in the sump for a refugium because of the skimmer. So I added a HOB fuge and the chaeto grows like crazy in it.

yeah the emperor's make great fuges

YEAH! high five man! lol, i have a 280 on my 25g long rubbermaid (turtle) and he loves it, water is crystal clear too :happy:

I was going to get an ac110/500 when I relized I had my old emp. 400 that I could use. I am going to remove the spray bars and reroute the output to the front of the tank to give me more flow. I do have a question though, how deep should I make the sand bed in the two chambers? A reef keeper at a LFS told me not to put sand in the fuge just LR, am I missing something or is it just personal prefference?

Archived