Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hmm...what lionfish

Regal Tang

for a 12gallon that i am making a podfarm...i thought i might get a lionfish(if my parents let me).....im going to get the fish at no bigger than 2"or less and then trade it in when it is about 5"....i was thinking of a Fuzzy dwarf lionfish,Raidiata lionfish,fu-manchu lionfish,or Dwarf lion

I wouldn't

Determine what you want to keep, then buy the right size tank for it.

12g cube (8g *cough*) really is too small even for a small lionfish.

lol...its not a cube...its just 12 gallon...and i know..but i will sell it before it gets to big! 19 inch long tank and about 18 inches high! so.... I just want an answer!

ProFlatlander15

i think what lgreen is trying to convey is that 12 gallons, no matter how it is dimensioned, is too small for a lionfish. also, i wouldnt buy a fish knowing you would have to sell it when it gets larger. just get a fish that can accomodate a 12G

ProFlatlander15

your nitrates are gonna be through the roof in a tank that small too...if you absolutley have to have a lionfish in a 12G, then try to add a fuge r sumthing

So your question really is Which kind of lionfish should I torture in my tank?

In that case they're all the same.......

of course this is a pretty tough question for people that care about their livestock.....

I had a small dwarf fuzzy in a 10 for about a month and a half. He seemed fine for the first couple of weeks and then began to lose his color and turned almost white. Then he died. I could not find any significant water quality issues or anything obvious. I attribute his death to the tank size and I don't think an extra 2g is going to fix that. Just my advice and experience.

Really all lionfish are messy eaters you have to feed it chunks of meaty food.

which in turn will give you alot of nitrates, algea so on and so on. Might as well just throw your money in the garbage. It wont survive long, unless you do 50% water change everyday. Good luck.

I had a small dwarf fuzzy in a 10 for about a month and a half. He seemed fine for the first couple of weeks and then began to lose his color and turned almost white. Then he died. I could not find any significant water quality issues or anything obvious. I attribute his death to the tank size and I don't think an extra 2g is going to fix that. Just my advice and experience.

what i meant was...even the smallest fish wont survive long!!!!!!!

alright lol!!! well it turns out that even the smallest fish i get wont survive long...how long was the Fuzzy dwarf...ive seen some about 1/2 inch long! awesome fish!

holy moley - you're dumb!

but come on guys, show him some slack, no matter WHAT he gets he's going to torture and kill eventually anyway...

:unsure:

Just get a 30g tank and have a small fuge or somthing heck even FOWLER lights but you'll kill it in a 12g. By the way do you have a tang in a nano Regal?

lmfao..you guys are too flamy....yes but it was for my neighbor(present)..i got it for him...it just turned out he had ICH!!!! lol

SHRINKY...i dont want to hear anything from you, because don't even understand, scientists (marine biologists/experts) dont fully understand aquariums. they are very misunderstood and complicated, and we dont know what works best or why some things work. ok ive seen people have a tang for 5+ years in a 20 gallon, and it was healtiest tang ive ever seen,but ive seen people have a tang in a 300 gallon and it dies!there are so many factors that go into it you dont understand, NO ONE DOES! that is why we, still are coming up with new ideas and equipment for our aquariums, for example if i have a lion in a 10g and you have one in a 50g,my can be more healthier and lives longer than yours...even though you had more space for swimming, mine lived longer....is it luck, skills, or do we not know.

This guy is an idiot. I think you "lol" a little too much. All these comparisons your making are just idiotic. You are intent on being confrontational and are looking for a rise out of responsible reefers. Go ahead and give this poor lionfish a death sentence for your false sense of knowledge in this hobby. I'm sure your local LFS loves when they see you walking in the door. Sucker

iluvfishies01

I think people on these forums need to show some tact and respect for other people. It's one thing to politely say that it wouldn't work out, but there really is no need to call people dumb or insult them. That does nothing anyway but create animosity. I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, just my $.02 .

regal, it is true that people have successfully kept tangs in 20 gallons for many years. although i find it hard to believe, i suppose that it is possible that the tang was a very healthy specimen. all we are trying to do here is help. there are basic rules for these things that, if followed, will give you a better chance of success. if you are going to buy a lion and keep it in your 12g, go ahead. nobody here is going to stop you. maybe the lion will do fine. probably not. for every 1 person that has kept a tang or lion or other large tank only fish successfully in a small tank, there have been hundreds that have failed. if not for any other reason, why waste your money on a gamble that your fish may or may not make it. take the $30 you would have spend on a lion and buy yourself a nice clownfish, firefish, or goby for $15. blow the rest of your cash on a slurpee or save it for a bigger tank to keep a lion in (someday).

here is what so called "experts" so understand... by keeping a fish in a tank, you are removing it from it's natural habitat. the goal or responsible aquarium keeping is to replicate this environment as best as possible. a 12 gallon tank is not a very good substitute for the billions of gallons that a fish may swim through in its life. there are fish that can be (quite easily) kept in a small tank such as yours, as they stay in generally the same areas of the ocean, so are well suited to life in a smaller aquarium. a lion is not one of these fish.

i hope that you make the responsible choice about this and decide to wait on the lion until you have a propper home for it.

SHRINKY...i dont want to hear anything from you, because don't even understand, scientists (marine biologists/experts) dont fully understand aquariums. they are very misunderstood and complicated, and we dont know what works best or why some things work. ok ive seen people have a tang for 5+ years in a 20 gallon, and it was healtiest tang ive ever seen,but ive seen people have a tang in a 300 gallon and it dies!there are so many factors that go into it you dont understand, NO ONE DOES! that is why we, still are coming up with new ideas and equipment for our aquariums, for example if i have a lion in a 10g and you have one in a 50g,my can be more healthier and lives longer than yours...even though you had more space for swimming, mine lived longer....is it luck, skills, or do we not know.

Ok dude I am a Marne Scientist and it is not that hard to understand the chemistry and biological aspects of the aquarium. Yeah nobody knows what works best because there are various ways of taking care of and managing the aquarium. As far as your stocking issues go Why would you put a animal that deserves a much larger aquarium in that small of a space. It is like if somebody locked you in a closet instead of letting you roam your house. It is not luck or skills, but responsible husbandry of aquatic animals.

If you do get one Regal, please please put your hand in your tank and touch it. I have been wondering how that is. I was thinking of getting one as well when I do my 60g FOWLR tank. But I want to make sure it's not deadly. Oh and take video of it, please.

I think people on these forums need to show some tact and respect for other people. It's one thing to politely say that it wouldn't work out, but there really is no need to call people dumb or insult them. That does nothing anyway but create animosity. I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, just my $.02 .

Havent you realized thats how things work around here?

Its like RC without the "barebottom cult"

If you do get one Regal, please please put your hand in your tank and touch it. I have been wondering how that is. I was thinking of getting one as well when I do my 60g FOWLR tank. But I want to make sure it's not deadly. Oh and take video of it, please.

:lol: I wanna know as well! Erin

I say do it man. Put that little F*#ker in there. Onece upon a time "responsible" reefers thought a nano was impossible and cruel to any fish. As long as you're tank is healthy I think something like a dwarf lion might work. I know people that have them and they never f*&cking move in larger tanks. There's a guy on this sight with a 16 BF who mentioned putting a dwarf lion in his tank, and I dont remember anyone flaming him for it.

hahah im not that stupid...if i get a fish i research it!

regal, it is true that people have successfully kept tangs in 20 gallons for many years. although i find it hard to believe, i suppose that it is possible that the tang was a very healthy specimen. all we are trying to do here is help. there are basic rules for these things that, if followed, will give you a better chance of success. if you are going to buy a lion and keep it in your 12g, go ahead. nobody here is going to stop you. maybe the lion will do fine. probably not. for every 1 person that has kept a tang or lion or other large tank only fish successfully in a small tank, there have been hundreds that have failed. if not for any other reason, why waste your money on a gamble that your fish may or may not make it. take the $30 you would have spend on a lion and buy yourself a nice clownfish, firefish, or goby for $15. blow the rest of your cash on a slurpee or save it for a bigger tank to keep a lion in (someday).

here is what so called "experts" so understand... by keeping a fish in a tank, you are removing it from it's natural habitat. the goal or responsible aquarium keeping is to replicate this environment as best as possible. a 12 gallon tank is not a very good substitute for the billions of gallons that a fish may swim through in its life. there are fish that can be (quite easily) kept in a small tank such as yours, as they stay in generally the same areas of the ocean, so are well suited to life in a smaller aquarium. a lion is not one of these fish.

i hope that you make the responsible choice about this and decide to wait on the lion until you have a propper home for it.

yea but honestly the stantards are just an educated guess from our such knowledge, its not like its a fact and opinions vary.

but yes i do see the point where you say i do need a proper home, but what about the people that put scorpions in 10g, they dont get the crap, I DO!! wtf!! and i hope you know this site was meant for help, and a search of education for aquariums, and you guys dont say anything but "GOD YOUR STUPID" or "IDIOT" dont say ANYTHING instead of using those words why dont you say somthing intelligent, or are so stupid you can't.

Archived