Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Home water filters....any help at all?

SaltyMember

SaltyMember

If I am not able to get RO/DI water prior to my tank setup...could using the PURE brand water filter I have on the kitchen tap help?  I realize that it would not be the quality of RO/DI water, but I figure it has to be better than straight tap water.  I realize this may be a naive question, but I am new to the hobby and would like to get some opinions on this.  I plan to find a place to buy RO/DI water for my eventual weekly water changes.

second2n0ne

If you are cycling your tank for the first time, it is extremely important you start with pristine water.  This will ensure minimal cyano outbreaks and ease the "new tank syndrome".  IMO, PURE filters will not meet these pristine requirements.  At the least, purchase distilled water or obtain water from the dispensers at your local supermarket.

Nishant3789

the PURE water filters only filter out the bacteria, thats what the carbon is for, and thats why we dont use it in our tanks, well mostly...its not much better really than tap water. hth

nishant

Smokey Joe

I agree ro/di water would be ideal.  If it's unavailable to you however, go ahead and use your filter.  Many people have had success with unfiltered tap water, so unless the water in your area is particuarly bad I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot.

quiksilver5768

I recommend going to your local supermarket and purchasing distilled water. Its the best water to start a tank with since it is the purest. Later on after your tank is set up, if you still dont have an RO filter...then most supermarkets have the glacier or some other type of machine to purchase RO/DI water from. Start with distilled or atleast get some RO/De-ionized water from the machines....

SaltyMember

Thanks everyone for the information.  I know my local supermarket carries distilled water, so I will go with that instead.  I will have to check with them to see if they have RO/DI water.  Thanks again.

they probably will have bottled ro, and bottled distilled, but not both ro/di from what i've found.  be careful cause some of that drinking water stuff has added minerals, and you don't want that in your reeftank.  i just use the bottled distilled and have had zero problems.  some are said to contain copper, but i haven't had any bad luck.  i even bought a copper test kit, but trace amounts would be undetectable anyway.  at least with my kit (red sea).  i did buy some copper remover media from aquarium systems that i used for a while in my filtrer, but i took it out and found it to not be needed.  wherever you get the water, look to see where the source came from, likely another city's water supply, and you can contact them and ask if they use any copper pipes in the distillation process.  they are required by law to provide a printout of the readings of all chemicals and elements found in their water.  hth.  

personally, i don't think you'll have a prob with it.  

(Edited by byrself at 8:50 pm on May 25, 2002)

Archived