Pod Your Reef

My 68.8 gallon tank

Sinistard

I would advise against that cover for the sump... won't that decreasel your oxygenation severely? I know the main oxyengation in my 58 is when the water drains into the sump and makes all those bubbles.. if you have a sealed top, taht might cause problems... maybe put some holes in it? enough to let air in, but not let a lot of evap out. just a suggestion... i'm not positive on this either way, it's something to look into.

looks amazing otherwise! :)

Thanks for the advice.

I did worry about that when I was considering the lid on the sump. From the research I did before I added the lid I found that since I'm running a big skimmer I should get plenty of oxygenation in the water.

The biggest problem I think I'm going to run into with the lid is heat build up. I actually have both ends of the lid up a bit so there is some ventilation to help with heat and I hope air transfer. In the summer I may need to keep the lid off and have a few fans blowing across the sump.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few other updates.

The macro in my fuge was quickly taking over so I decided that I needed something bigger to allow for more growth. I figured I would use some of the unused space in the sump to grow the macro. I picked up a plastic tub and made legs for it out of 1.5" PVC. The tub sits inside the sump with the overflow water fromthe main tank that does not go to the fuge or skimmer running into it. I drilled hole in the sides of the tub just above the water line of the sump for the water to overflow out of the tub into the sump. This keeps the tub in place by adding some water weight.

Here are some picture of the insump "macro fuge" being built and in place.

I drilled holes in the bottom of the tub in all 4 corners.

macrofuge4.jpg

I also drilled holes in the PCV, 4 holes

macrofuge3.jpg

I used large wire zip ties to connect the PVC to the tub, here is the final product minus the holes for the overflow

macrofuge2.jpg

Here is the "macro fure" in place. You can see the hole in the tub. The water is a bit low in this picture, I need to add about 10 gallons to they system to get it to the right hight.

macrofuge1.jpg

I plan to get a growth light from Lowes to hang over the tub.

I also picked up a used Medusa 2 stage temperature controller.

medusa.jpg

I think I will have some temperature issues once it warms up this summer so I decied to run a fan over the sump to help cool the tank.

sumpfan.jpg

I have the fan and my heater plugged into the Medusa and it is set at 80 degrees. This also gives me some protection against heater malfunction.

My local reef club CORA had a meeting a couple weeks back where we built a DIY kalkreactor and I built one to add to my auto top off system(which I'm working on). A big thanks to George from Geosreef.com and the other members of CORA who set this up.

A picture of what we called Kalkenstein

kalkreactor.jpg

I plan to have a gravity feed auto top off with a 10g or so container and a float switch and solenoid. Nice and simple.

Last thing for now is I just added 2 fish a few days ago, two clowns from my nano.

Here they are getting ready to be added to the tank

Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

clowns1.jpg

They look much smaller in a 70 gallonish tank verses a 12g :P

That is some nice liverock. Really loving the shapes. Making for a really nice aquascape. This is a really nice tank.

Hmm, wonder where I could get liverock like that, really nice peices..

Wow! Your setup is pretty awesome, cant wait to see what is to come in the main tank!

Do you think you could take an updated picture of your whole sump area (like fuge, sump, etc.) all in one shot? Thanks

That is some nice liverock. Really loving the shapes. Making for a really nice aquascape. This is a really nice tank.

Hmm, wonder where I could get liverock like that, really nice peices..

Thanks, I got lucky with the LR and it fit together nicely.

You should just keep an eye out at your LFSs for nice pieces of rock.

wow cool tank love the light hood

Thanks

I was very happy with the way the light came out. I'm glad I did not have to use any other support to connect it to the wall other then the hinge.

Wow! Your setup is pretty awesome, cant wait to see what is to come in the main tank!

Do you think you could take an updated picture of your whole sump area (like fuge, sump, etc.) all in one shot? Thanks

Thanks Pili.

I'll get a picture of the sump area tonight.

:bowdown:

Izzue

Sorry Pili I forgot to get a sump area picture, I'll try to get one later tonight or tomorrow.

I went out today and made my first big purchase other then clean up crewmembers.

Here are some Pictures. Some of the corals are pieces I moved over from my nano and they been in the tank for 2 weeks now some a little less and they are doing all great.

First the pieces I moved over from my nano.

Red and Green Open-Brain (Trachyphyllia sp.)

trac1.jpg

Green Monti (Montipora capricornus)

greenmonti1.jpg

Orange Monti (Montipora capricornus)

orangemonti1.jpg

Green and Pink Frogspawn (Euphyllia divisia)

frogspawn1.jpg

There were also a couple a small zoas I moved over from my nano but I have not snapped a picture of them yet

I won this in a raffle at a CORA meeting a few weeks ago.

Blue and Green Florida Ricordia (Ricordia florida)

bluericordia1.jpg

I picked these up when I got my clean up crew a few weeks back

Purple Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus vaniegatus)

purpleurchin1.jpg

Orange Tonga Mushroom (Rhondactis sp.)

orangemushroom1.jpg

And these are the pieces I picked up today.

Pearl Coral / Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)

pearlcoral1.jpg

Yellow and Pink Sun Coral (Tubastrea faulkneri)

suncoral1.jpg

Blue Acropora with Blue polyps (Acropora sp.)

blueacro1.jpg

The Acro had a Acro Crab as a Hitchhiker

Acro Crab (Xanthasia sp.)

acrocrab1.jpg

Rose Bulb Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

rbta1.jpg

If any of my critters look misidentified or if you have a more complete ID feel free to let my know. I tried to figure out the scientific name of each piece of live stock as well as the common name.

The pictures of the corals I got today are about a half hour after I added them to the tank so they are not fully open. I added the frogspawn at the same time. The rest have been in the tank for at least a week.

I was going to pick up a new fish as well but I could not decide on what to get. I want to go with one larger fish then several smaller fish. I was considering a Sail-fin tang for a Purple tang as the bigger fish but could not make up my mind. I think I will be able to get away with one tang in my tank. The 2 smaller fish I was considering today were a coral beauty or a flame angel.

That's it for now I will try to get some better pictures once everything has settled down.

What kind of sand did you use in your tank?

Also, can you give us a full tank shot. Your tank is turning out awesome. Makes me want to do an acrylic tank, have you had any problems with it scratching?

What kind of sand did you use in your tank?

Also, can you give us a full tank shot. Your tank is turning out awesome. Makes me want to do an acrylic tank, have you had any problems with it scratching?

Thanks Coville.

The sand is CaribSea Arag-Alive. It's the fiji pink color.

The only scratches I have had happened while I was moving the tank when I was plumbing and figuring out where everything was going to go. I was very careful with my LR when I put it in not to touch the front of side walls. I think as long as I'm careful I will not have any major problems with scratches.

I will try to get a full tank shot later today when everything is open.

Thanks agian.

Thanks Coville.

The sand is CaribSea Arag-Alive. It's the fiji pink color.

The only scratches I have had happened while I was moving the tank when I was plumbing and figuring out where everything was going to go. I was very careful with my LR when I put it in not to touch the front of side walls. I think as long as I'm careful I will not have any major problems with scratches.

I will try to get a full tank shot later today when everything is open.

Thanks agian.

Great looking tank, I think it may have pushed my decision between glass/acrylic :D

Thanks aquaman7.

Here is the requested shot of the updated sump area. Sorry it took so long. I will get a Full tank Shot later there is to much glare from the windows right now.

My mangroves don't seem to be doing all that well. I think 2 were pretty much dead when I got them and the other 2 have shown no sign of growth. Not sure whats going on there.

sumparea1.jpg

Thanks Izzue

Here is a full tank shot from today. Since my Sun Coral is in the cave parts of it stay open most of the day.

click to see a bigger version

FTS060706small.jpg

The montipora digi on the right will get moved I just have not decided where yet.

Thanks NanoGuy

I forgot to post this guys picture before. I added him with the cleaning crew.

Skunk Cleaner Srimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

cleanershrimp2.jpg

Also here is a macro I took of my Blue Acro which has been best IDed as a Acropora gomezi

blueacromacro1.jpg

Well today was not the best day as far as my tank goes. I had my first casualties.

I found the skunk cleaner pictured below dead stuck to the closed loop intake late last night. I don't know what happened to him, just yesterday he was out and eating. I had noticed him hiding a bit more then normal but he seemed fine the last time I saw him. There were no signs of abuse so nothing else in the tank was picking on him.

The other casualty was a new fish I got on Sunday. A Blue Spotted Jawfish.

Here is a picture of him being acclimated on Sunday. He was a very cool fish.

bluespottedjawfish1.jpg

I never did get a picture of him in the tank.

He was doing fine all of Sunday. Monday morning before work I could not find him but figured he was just digging a hole somewhere. I still could not find him last night when I got home and then this morning. I moved some rocks around in the tank and looked around behind the tank and did not see him.

I posted a thread about him today and someone said I should look around on the floor since they are notorious jumpers so I went back and looked some more. I found him under the tank inside my stand. I guess he bounced off a run of PCV just right that he ended up in the stand. He as pretty dried up so I guess he was there for at least a day.

I guess I assumed since they spend most of there time on the bottom jumping would not be a problem. I did some research on them and did not see anything about jumping. I guess I need to read into them more. I will not make this mistake again and I'm sorry a fish had to die for me to learn.

I am in the process of making 2 lids out of egg-crate that will fit into the holes on top of the tank. I will post some pictures once they are done. I think they are going to block a little bit of light but It should not be enough to effect the tank.

Like I said not a very happy day for reefing.

Sry bout the casualties...IMO those are the nicest Jawfish you can get.

I know you learned the hard way so please dont take this wrong.

I PREACH...Any fish can JUMP.

One day I was staring in my little Ocean...next thing I know my Male Clown was carpet surfing right in front of me (tks goodness I was their).

Went straight to home depot...made me a little acrylic cover with drilled holes all in it...so far so good...I like the open top but not worth loosing little fisheees.

Izzue

Yup definitely a hard lesson learned and I didn't take it wrong. I was hoping that the acrylic bracing on the top would be enough to keep any fish in. I didn't have any experience with open top tanks and did not realize how easy it would be for a fish to make it out.

I wish I could have found him before it was to late. I guess his death will help prevent this from happening to any fish down the road.

To prevent any more jumpers I made a couple lids out of eggcrate. Basically I cut the eggcrate to fit exactly into the holes on the top of the tank and then super glued a couple plexi pieces on to hold them in place. I ended up with a nice clean look but it does block a bit of light. Its not real bad and I think I will be able to live with it. They look pretty good, you can't see them unless you are standing up looking down at the tank.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. They should keep any jumpers in.

eggcratelid1.jpg

eggcratelid2.jpg

I would now recommend that everyone have some type of preventative measures in place to keep your fish in the tank.

Wow, this is a truly unique setup. Awesome job!

I'm curious though, w/that vornado pointed directly at your sump, how much would you estimate your evaporation to be in gallons/day? My guess is 2-3G/Day?

Thanks Izzue

Thanks uchiha. I'm not sure how much evaporation I am getting right now. I have a float valve in the sump connected directly to my RO system so I have not had to manually add water yet. I do plan to get a 10-20 gallon reservoir to use for my top off water so I don't have to worry about the float switch failing and my tank being flooded with more the 20 gallons of fresh water. Plus I have my kalk reactor that I plan to hook up in-line with the top off system.

If I had to guess I would say you 2-3 gallons a day is probably pretty accurate. When I kept the lid on in the sump I had tons of condensation on it. It's to hot now to use the lid.

Archived