Top Shelf Aquatics

Water Loss in 12 G Nano Cube

Sharon

I have a 12 G Nano Cube that I set up 2 weeks ago - I keep losing water in the back - on the far right when looking down on the cube. The store I bought it from advised me to remove everything, and be sure the air flow on the left is open for water to flow - and then reinstall everything - I did that - and it still happens - any suggestions? I have 3 sponges in the cube - would it help to remove one? I was hoping to add a couple of fish Weds. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 12 G Nano Cube that I set up 2 weeks ago - I keep losing water in the back - on the far right when looking down on the cube. The store I bought it from advised me to remove everything, and be sure the air flow on the left is open for water to flow - and then reinstall everything - I did that - and it still happens - any suggestions? I have 3 sponges in the cube - would it help to remove one? I was hoping to add a couple of fish Weds. Any help would be appreciated.

hi Sharon....my bf and i have two nano's and neither has ever done that! one is an older model and the other is the brand new model. i'd say if they're a reputable store, they should replace yours. best of luck!!

Like it is leaking out of the tank? If the level is just droping in the last chamber over a couple days it is because of evaporation. Replace the water with fresh RO/DI.

Like it is leaking out of the tank? If the level is just droping in the last chamber over a couple days it is because of evaporation. Replace the water with fresh RO/DI.

No - it is coming from the tank - as the level in the tank rises - I took 2 sponges out and will see what happens -

No - it is coming from the tank - as the level in the tank rises - I took 2 sponges out and will see what happens -

I had that happen on my 24 and the sponge in the center compartment ( i didn't realize there was a sponge in there !) was clogged. once that was removed water stabalized between the back and the display area again.

Oh okay....I think I understand....The water is flowing over the back wall into the rear chambers?

The water is flowing from teh back wall into the tank. Since I took 2 sponges out it has been okay - so hopefully that was the problem. knock on wood.

The water is flowing from teh back wall into the tank. Since I took 2 sponges out it has been okay - so hopefully that was the problem. knock on wood.

If you are using sponges, make sure you clean them every week. If you don't they restrict flow and produce nitrates. I just use some filter pad that I change every week. Cleaning sponges is a pain.

A surface skimmer would fix it and you could keep your sponge in there.....

Like I hope I don't sound too stupid - I have had a FW tank for years - but never had a surface skimmer - what is a surface skimmer?

Like I hope I don't sound too stupid - I have had a FW tank for years - but never had a surface skimmer - what is a surface skimmer?

I do have one sponge in there now - and just cut another in half and put in to see if that works too - so I am not without sponges - I think the filter pad sounds like a good idea also.

Archived