Pod Your Reef

Black Coralline? hmm...

FamousGuy

Today I got about 10 pounds of fiji live rock from the lfs and when i got it home i noticed one rock had about 5 little black round areas( about dime sized at the biggest), they're kind of hard/calcerous like coralline but i've never heard of it being that color....we had a knarly black algae in our pool once i hope its not something similar, any ideas?

Someone?  ^  I just got down on all fours and looked really closely with the daylight on and it actually looks really dark brownish/maroonish, almost reminds me of the glass on dark beer bottles.  I'm leaning towards weird coralline now but still any ideas?  It's relatively smooth textured.

(Edited by FamousGuy at 4:01 am on May 24, 2002)

I have really dark marroon coraline on some of my rocks.The rest of the coraline is pink and purple.I read on reef central that coraline color has something to do with the lighting.The moe intense the lighting the lighter the color.I currently have a low light tank.What is your current lighting?

I too have little spots of coralline that looks black until you get right up close to it. Now if only I could get some other coralline to take off. I have some pink, purple, wine, bright red, and even orange, but they cover only a minute percentage of my rock. If only it would grow more. Should I add anything other than Kent 2 part calc/alk? These diatoms can't be helping either...

ya know? Just maybe I might know.

I have a few really dark brown maroon patches in one of my tanks, they seem to grow some kind of macro algae that is completely yummy to everyone in the tank cuz as soon as a leaf appears someone eats it. I have watched this struggle for about 2 years. the patch remains and every once in a while a leaf sprouts and it is promptly eaten the next day. kinda funny really.

Toy

Freddie- I'm using a 32 watt smartlamp.  This particular rock came from under some bigger pieces of rock at the store so it was getting pretty low light, i think this store uses either NO or HO flourescents.

gt307-i've been lucky with my first piece of live rock, just water changes every weekend (instant ocean)must have enough good stuff in the new salt cuz my purple corallines really taking off, i don't know about the dosing.

Toy, you know i noticed right before bed last night...i turned on my light and caught my emerald crab munching on some of the dark stuff, he was having a hard time getting it off like its coralline...but maybe its what you're talking about because he doesn't touch the purple/aqua coralline in the tank.  I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens, hopefully it wont end up being some weird nuisance algae from hell

BustytheSnowMaam

Famous-

I have similar dark spots, and I find that they stay small and that snails/critters eat them (as others here have said).  Just my experience-

Tasha

Archived