inTank Media Baskets

Lighting for fuge

Nic

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my 10g aga fuge for my 20H. At about 3/4 the length of the 10 I have a baffle that is 6" high with a mag7 on 1/4 side. Over the fuge, 3/4 side, I have a mini might light, that has 2-9w bulbs, one actinic the other 67K. Is this enough light for that fuge? or should I add another?

Hey MacnReef, if your'e just going to have sand & live rock/rubble in the fuge, those lights should be fine. If you plan to grow macro algae, then change the actinic to another 67k. HTH

If you plan to grow macro algae you can leave the original bulbs if they are close to 5000K. I have used Lights of America PC's with 5000K over a 10 gallon aquarium fuge and the macro algae grew better than when I tried a replacement bulb with 6800K from CSL. The 5000K does not look as good to human eyes and corals would prefer 6800 K, but plants love it. If you use Lights of America PC's, try to find the 27 watt quad outdoor spot lights. You can fit two over a 10 gallon, and they are water proof and easy to hookup.

Actually, I just looked and I was wrong. They are 5000K bulbs.:P Good, I just call Aquatic Eco-Systems and placed an order for another and for some lock-line returns that I need. I will go by there in a few and pick it up.

Thanx

Ok thanks everyone. I just placed my order with Christian at Wet/Dry Filters for a custom Fuge for my 2.5, can't wait! I've decided to go with a 6500K 10 watt mini compact bulb and a 4000K bulb also.

I'm hoping to get a lot of Macro Algea growth and put a lot of caulerpa int here. Anyone doing some clipping soon? I'lll take some if you do.

I just ordered a custom fuge for my 18 gal. via aqua from Wetdryfilter.com, can't wait to get it, any one care to share some setup tips? Thanks, Jon ???

Archived