ReefCleaners.org

First Hole In Glass

Travis

I finaly cut a hole on a glass tank, AGA 20L to be exact. I used the Dremel Product Number 7150 to get the job done, and I couldn't have been happier with it.

Here are the pics

7150.jpg

Hole-In-Tank-No-BH.jpg

Hole-In-Tank-No-BH-Back.jpg

Back.jpg

BH-Both-Sides.jpg

BH-Back.jpg

BH-Front.jpg

It wasn't hard at all, it just took about 20 Minutes to cut it.

I finaly cut a hole on a glass tank, AGA 20L to be exact. I used the Dremel Product Number 7150 to get the job done, and I couldn't have been happier with it.

Here are the pics

7150.jpg

Hole-In-Tank-No-BH.jpg

Hole-In-Tank-No-BH-Back.jpg

Back.jpg

BH-Both-Sides.jpg

BH-Back.jpg

BH-Front.jpg

It wasn't hard at all, it just took about 20 Minutes to cut it.

That looks great! I am getting ready to cut my own first hole in a 20 g L. Thanks for the info on the dremel product that I should use (Number 7150). Were you able to find that at home depot or did you have to order it online? Did you make a damn with some putty and use water in the dam? Did the aquarium make any cracking noises as you were cutting it? What kind of overflow system do you plan to have?

I found the Dremel Bits at Wal*Mart, but I am sure you can fine them at Home Depot. 7150 comes with two bits. One bit is shaped like a ball and the other bit is tappered. You use the ball bit to cut halfway through the glass and then use the tappered bit for the last half. I didn't make a dam, but I did use a spray bottle every few minutes durring cutting. The aquarium didn't make any noises other than some minor vibration. I found that using Duck Tape around the cutting area, front and back of the tank, realy helped lessen the vibration.

This tank was just an old tank I had and I wanted to practice on it so I would know what I am doing when I cut other tanks, so this is basically a scrap tank for now, but I may use it as a frag grow out tank in the future.

Thanks Semi.

Sebea, I was realy nervous at first, but once I started cutting, it was easy. I think that people make it seem hard, but it realy isn't.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you take the rubber gasket on the bulk head you want use, and trase the INSIDE circle, it acts as a guide for the first few go arounds.

do you like put masking tape on it before you cut a whole through it?

like slow sinkers

slow sinkers are like water balloons that you put on peoples heads while sleeping at like parties. Like you put a piece of masking tape on it and poke a hole through it so it will slowly deflate on the guys head =D

How did you cut the hole out so quick? I cut out 3 holes in my 20 long and it took me at least an hour or 2 each hole. I know it says not to force the bit into the cut but i tried it anyway and it didnt cut any faster. Does amount of water you use affect how fast it cuts? I was about to give up on the tank and smash it I was so PO'd ..lol

I put duckttape on it, then I traced the inside of the rubber gasket onto the duckttape, then I started cutting.

Bead, I did notice that after spraying the cutting area with water, the bit didn't work as well, but then after it evaporated and/or threw the little amount of water, it cut fine. I was afraid that the glass would over heat and would crack, so I kept on spraying ever so often.

ohhh haha, man im so stupid. i too was scared that it was gonna crack so i used a hose and had water constantly running through the cut. wasted all that water plus bought TWO bits cause i thought the 1st got F'd up cause it wouldnt cut fast. oh well. =\

Archived