Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Featherduster Smoking

Schwazreef

Is the smoke-like substance I occasionally see coming out of my feather duster reproductive material? Is his smoke break a spawning event or just excrecion of waste?

If it is habitual, I would also say it was excretion of waste, although I have never seen my feather duster do this. What type is it? Can you get a pic of this interesting process?

If it is habitual, I would also say it was excretion of waste, although I have never seen my feather duster do this. What type is it? Can you get a pic of this interesting process?

No. He's got a happy Feather Duster. They will spurt eggs/sperm sometimes for as long as 20 minutes. Consider it additional food for the tank.

Featherdusters do this when they are stressed as do a lot of other inverts. Their strategy is to breed quickly before they perish. Very common in clams,snails, and other polychate worms. Not a happy duster.

Makes seanse. He is a happy duster, but may have been stressed at the time due to a mini-cycle related to the addition of more LR. It is the main suspect in almost taking out my 1"dia fungia, but he made it, not w/o a pretty serious bleeching. but he's back.

Lesson: even a quick trip w/ LR out of water, but at 100% humidity will still produce signifigant die off.

So is there consensus on the spawning being stress related?

Archived