Top Shelf Aquatics

Nocturnal HH polyp?

debaser9

I'd appreciate any help identifying this guy. Only comes out at night and does not react quickly to having a light shined on him. It's tentacles are pretty much clear with whiteish balls on the end. The disc is about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bigger. Thanks.

26.JPG36.JPG

I have some that I think are a type of worm? does it retract into a small hole?

or does it bunch up into a blob? because mine slowly retract into a small hole in the rock from light shining at night! if it blobs up than maybe hydrod of some kind?

wow I shouldn't get so technical lol!

Does it have a skeleton? If so, then it's a cup coral of some kind. If it's completely squishy, then it's a Corynactis/pseudocorynactis anemone. Harmless. Not like Aiptasia in that it's not prolific and prone to stinging corals and moving around. Prefers dark places. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do some closer investigation tonight to double-check, but I don't think it has a skeleton. During the day he just closes up into a tight blob. And it does look a lot like the corynactis/pseudocorynactis pics I googled. Glad to hear these guys shouldn't be trouble because last night I spotted about a half-dozen small ones on another of my rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up this morning to see the back half of the goby sticking out of it. I guess it's possible that the goby died some other way and drifted into the hitchhiker, but the goby looked great last night having his last meal so I don't think that's all that likely.

Holy crap! How big is your Pseudocorynactis?! Still the size of a quarter? (Great article--I had no idea they could reach 6" in diameter!)

--Diane

I have maybe 8-10 little Corynactis in my tank. Some are pink and some are clear. They have yet to do any harm.

If you don't like it, I bet you can always use Joe's Juice?

I successfully (and very easily) got rid of these with Joe's Juice. Thanks for the recommendation. As for size, the biggest one (the goby eater) was not much bigger than a quarter diameter-wise. When fully extended it was probably 3" tall.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i keep them in my sump. and yes they are great hunters. it is possible it killed your goby.

they are very very cool under antic lighting. mine are clear but under the blue lighting, vivid oranges and electric blues.

Archived