Pod Your Reef

Advice on tank circulation for 7 gal

SaltyMember

SaltyMember

Hi, I am in the planning stages for a 7 gal minibow and am thinking of getting a Rio 90 powerhead and an Aquaclear Mini.  The Aquaclear would be used for particulate matter and occasional carbon.  Does this sound good.  Any suggestions?  

I got the 7 gal mini bow, I am running a whisper 30 and a powerhead that does like 50+ GPH. works well for me, insteda of the RIO why not get a mini jet they are adjustable and around the same price. I'm not sure how many GPH the Aquaclear mini but I do Know they are small and wont allow for much stuff (skimmer, heater, floss Etc.) inside. I might bump the size on that one up alittle, you can throttle that down as well if needed.

HTH,

Toy

minijet is a better choice than a rio.  the aquaclear is good for when needed only.  at least with the carbon use anyway.  just have a dsb and quality live rock, with good circulation and you should be fine.  jmo

i run a rio 50 in my a life 7 i tend to stay with rio they are a lill more pricy but they are more quality  but im not dissen other powerheads just my 2 cents worth

NanoReefer53
Quote: from Cam barr on 4:24 pm on May 25, 2002[br]i run a rio 50 in my a life 7 i tend to stay with rio they are a lill more pricy but they are more quality  but im not dissen other powerheads just my 2 cents worth

Acutally those rio's are great "quality" for long term affect. Many many people have had problems with the motor jamming or sending out electrical shocks after a period of time using rio's. I personally use maxi-jets now.

i didn't mean to rash on rios.  they are known to cause probs though, and i'm just partial to maxis cause i got some.  they are much better quality to me though.  i had a powersweep that i wasn't too impressed with either.  great idea, but poor design in my opinion.    

SleepingUgly

On my 7-gallon bowfront, I use an AquaClear 150 only.  This moves 150 gallons per hour.  The AquaClear Mini moves 100 g.p.h.  Either one is more than enough circulation.

For me, the advantages of an HOB filter are:

1.  The only part taking up tank space is the intake tube.

2.  Adding or removing carbon or sponges is easy and fast.      

3.  It provides plenty of aeration.

4.  When you add top-off water and supplements via the filter, it mixes and dilutes whatever you're         adding before it goes into the tank.

I disagree about one or the other being "enough" circ.

You need at least two sources of flow in your tank to create random currents a wavemaker of some sort would be preferred but with one powerhead what can you do?

Toy

Archived