Top Shelf Aquatics

Super Glueing Frags Underwater

itswayner

With superglue? Just take the coral out of the water, and apply the glue. Then wait a couple of seconds, and then stick the coral on to the rock or wherever.

I have much better luck using the gel type superglue than standard superglue.

The frag will stick better if you attach into a small depression, crack or hole in the live rock.

What coral are you trying to glue? Mushrooms will not stick with superglue. Zoas will stick well with the gel type of superglue. LPS need the epoxy to really get a good hold on the rock IME.

For what it's worth, I never have much luck getting SG gel to completely set under water. I find I get better results by taking the rock out of the tank, applying the glue, letting it start to set for a few seconds, then putting it back in the tank to finish setting.

For what it's worth, I never have much luck getting SG gel to completely set under water. I find I get better results by taking the rock out of the tank, applying the glue, letting it start to set for a few seconds, then putting it back in the tank to finish setting.

same hear. i even dab the spot i plan on applying the glue with a paper towel to dry it off a little bit and help the glue stick.

I just glued a polyp and a zoo down this afternoon with cheap superglue. As stated above pull the rock out and wipe it off just a bit go ahead and put some glue where you are planning on fragging to and then put a bit on your coral. I even had time to put a little glue around the base before I put it back into the water. I let them set for a minute and the put them back in the water. The zoo took a while to come but the polyp came right out.

I dont like to disturb my live rock in place when gluing. Instead what I do, is add a bit of glue to the bottom of frag, careful to invert the frag in the water, exposing only the bit you wish to apply the glue to (I know may not be necessary, but I dont like bringing any corals out of the water if I dont have to :). I then dip the frag into the water for 10 seconds and let the glue begin to dry. It will begin to dry in the water and turn white. I then re-invert the frag and place a fresh layer of glue over the first layer and then I stick it on the rock. This way you have one layer close to drying and another layer of fresh glue...works everytime.

One other thing you can do is to place some glue on the bottom of your frag and then stick the frag into some fine crushed coral gravel or in your sand bed. LEt the glue bind some of the sand and fine rock. Then place more glue on the fine sand or rock on the bottom of the frag and then glue to your rock. HOld in place and then presto. This will help to keep any slime from the coral from causing the glue not to hold.

Just two tricks I use with success. Others may have a better way...

Archived