Cultivated Reef

how do you know if your corals are dying?

vanessa

Ok I bought some Xenia elongata and I was wondering how do I know if the xenia is dying or not? He seems to be doing well...I've had him about 1 week. How long does it take before a xenia will die if he's going to die from lack of the right water/minerals/light/food? I heard they are very picky on the right type of environment...so what should I look for to see if he is dying? And how long does it take to die? A few days once introduced or a few weeks, months? Thanks for any info. Vanessa:*(

Most corals die of bad environment somewhat proportionaly to how bad the environment it. Unless you have seriously messed something up, your corals won't die without giving you notice. Xenia is actually very hardy. Given decent conditions it will be fruitfull and multiplyj. The only thing you might try to be on the look out for is something called Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN, search for it). You will notice a brownish kind of jelly that seems to replace what used to be healthy tissue on your coral. It kills in a few days. But even then you have some notice.

the rtn will be found on hard corals, not sure if you see that on softies like xenia. I have never had xenia die on me so I don't know how you would tell if they are dying.

Man I wish I knew. Tomorrow night I start the peel and replace method of relocating some colonies. Stupid, tank crowding, view blocking Xenia. I think Satchmo microwaves his water to warm it prior to putting it in his tank. How else to explain the freakish growth?

Archived