Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's wrong with my zoos?

nd12nc

hello, i have some zoos that have been closed up for quite a while now, maybe almost a month. I know it may be too late to do anything to save these zoos but i would like to know what is wrong with them in the first place. My water params are fine and the zoos were fine for about a month after I placed them in my tank (specs in sig). I also attached a pic. What I am mainly concerned about are the zoos that look like they're rusting. They were that way when i bought them, however, all the others were very healthy looking. Any information would be a great help. Thanks.

Alex

post-16118-1137260567_thumb.jpg

sorry about the blurryness

Resize the pic to make it easier to view. Also, everyone says "my water param's are fine", Fine doesn't help anyone to help you. Post all param's along w/ light and flow, someone will be able to help you then.

Yea i have i also did a freshwater dip, but i think that nearly caused my tank to crash, cause i lost all my lps corals afterward.

Yea i have i also did a freshwater dip, but i think that nearly caused my tank to crash, cause i lost all my lps corals afterward.
Sounds like you've got a bigger problem than just the Zoa's. Have you treated the tank w/ anything? Are you protien skimming? How often do you do water changes?

I don't treat the tank with anything. I have carbon running in my HOB filter. I'm looking into getting a skimmer, just can't figure out which one to buy. Also, I do one gallon waterchanges at least once a week.

I'm still new, but isn't a temp of 82 a little high? Isn't it supposed to be between 78 and 80?
Ideally yes, but 82 will not kill everything and make the Zoa's go south.

Do you have any Leather corals in the tank? Leathers release toxins when stressed, as they have no stinging cells. Stress would include getting stung by corals/anemone, Inverts/fish picking at it, Toxins released by other corals. If they release, they will nuke a nano tank pretty quick.

I don't think toxins are the problem here as he is running carbon.

I am having the same problem with some of my zoos. They never fully open, and they are closed most of the time. Where as with my other zoos, they are doing just fine.

I am having the same problem with some of my zoos. They never fully open, and they are closed most of the time. Where as with my other zoos, they are doing just fine.
Do you have strong current directed at them? This will keep em closed up.

Well, to be honest, when I had my zooas years ago in my 55G without chiller, they didn't opened well. Now I keep a temp of 76F and they are great. But also it could be the lights since now I have a lot of light for them. 520W od PC lights for a 55 gal.

I need to be honest here. I have had my reef tank for a year and a half now and I have NEVER checked the parameters of my water. It has been running fine. Also I NEVER do water changes. I let the water evaporate and what evaporates is what I replace with FILTERED(non salty) Water.

I need to be honest here. I have had my reef tank for a year and a half now and I have NEVER checked the parameters of my water. It has been running fine. Also I NEVER do water changes. I let the water evaporate and what evaporates is what I replace with FILTERED(non salty) Water.
I've known a few like you, some get away with it just fine. When I had my 1st reef(40 breeder years before PC's) I never changed my water either. It all caught up after a few years when everything crashed. Maybe it was lack of water changes or something else, I'll never know for sure. Good luck to you, just know, I reccomend doing one, see how the tank responds.

Yeah, does that make it okay? Sure. But don't advocate it to other people. We have customers come in saying everything looks fine EXCEPT their new fish just died; well, turns out your free nitrates are at 200. THAT could be it! Sometimes everything appears to be fine, but actually isn't. It does add up.

Actually it has been 20 months. And nothing in my tank has died. I wonder if the BIG patch of Algae Plants is whats keeping things o.k. hhmmm......

I haven't had that bad red CYANO bacteria either. The sand has been clear too.

A lot of people are VERY surpised to hear how I handle my tank. They wonder how its still alive.

Here is a picture of the BIG ball of plants on the right side of my tank. Its made a good refugium for some tiny animals. They love it. My fish go in there too. To feed maybe.

Here is a picture of my algae plants.

post-14618-1137543118_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the input people.

I was wondering if it could be toxins also. I have one toadstool in my tank, but nothing ever bothers it and it looks like it's doing fine.

I know my temp might be a tad high but that's what it runs at during the day with my lights and powerhead in there so i figured i might as well keep it constant so thats what I set my heater at. I'm really not convinced that it's the temp, just because of the fact that I had the zoos in my tank for at least a month before they closed up. :huh:

All this input is great people, keep it comin. Thanks a bunch.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd give an update on how my zoos are doing, just incase anyone else was having a problem similar to mine.

The zoos are looking 100% better. The reason? I started feeding them...I think.

I bought a frozen bar of cyclo-peeze to feed my LPS with. I figured it couldn't hurt to squirt a little on each zoo just to see if they would open. Ten minutes later every single one was open and looking great.

Just thought i'd share my success with you guys.

What the zoos look like now

post-16118-1140040887_thumb.jpg

Archived