ReefCleaners.org

Dosing for a very small tank

Keng Yew, Leong

The thing you'd want to dose for coralline growth is Calcium and alkalinity. Everything else is taken care of through water changes. B-Ionic is good stuff. Any of the 2-part Ca/alk products will work. There's no way of saying how much to dose. Every tank is different. Dose lightly at first, testing your levels till you get them where you want them.

if you end up dosing do it on a daily versus weekly basis. the sudden (large, relatively speaking) influx of additives (buffers, chemicals, etc.) on a weekly basis will be traumatic to the system. i use separate dropper bottles for smaller systems for repeatability of the dosages and preventing cross-contamination.

i'll second the b-ionic.

(satch at the pharmacy)

"i need to purchase some syringes."

"oh, i need it because i'm a reefer."

"um, i use it for growing coral and clams."

"why are you calling the police?" ???

:P

:)

I had my family over one day and my mother was looking at my nano. Her eyes wandered to the shelf beneath the tank where I keep all my reef toys. She immediately spotted a hypodermic needle and some scattered white powder :o I led her on at first, until she looked like she was ready to cry. Had a fun time explaining what kalkwasser was and why I was injecting things in the tank with it. "No, mom, that's kalk. I would never let the heroin just lay around like that."

And there's no pharmacy needed. I work in hospitals- or as Crakeur dubbed it, the Reef Supply Headquarters.

Keng Yew, Leong...

I just started dosing my 3 1/2 gallon Kritter Keeper reef daily w/B-Ionic. I'm using 2ml Alk & 3ml Ca per day. I'll measure water quality in a week and adjust accordingly.

Archived