Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. Fosi's 5.5AGA fish/coral mix

Mr. Fosi

What I thought was a dead hermit was actually just a molted carapace.

Some of the red stuff is corraline, but the new stuff is certainly cyano.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm winning the fight against the cyano, even though I came home yesterday to find my skimmer not skimming.

I did my weekly water change a couple days ago with a gallon Pur filtered tap water (mixed with salt, of course) and dropped 4-5 tbs of fresh carbon in the HOB. I haven't changed my lighting period, which is currently 14/10, but I have noticed that the cyano dies back/is eaten every morning. It is also not spreading.

I pulled out the skimmer and cleaned the end of the air hose that is glued into the intake. Running like a champ now.

I checked my local water quality report for 2004 and discovered that they detected

about 0.35ppm NO3 during that year. They didn't list PO4 in the report, so I called the head of water quality and left him a message. I hope I hear back from him. In the meantime, I have a friend checking on natural springs in the area. Barring spring water, I may eventually have to bow to the experience of the people here and quit using tap water.

I completed my AC70 HOB mini 'fuge last night and the silicone will be set by this evening. I picked up a 6500K screw-in fluorecent light from Wal-Mart (only $5.25) and I will be running it over my 'fuge in a DIY light hood that I jerried together. I will be throwing some calurpa in it, as well as come chaeto if anyone is willing ship me some (HINT HINT).

All the livestock is doing well and the halimeda that sprouted out of my rock is growing like gangbusters.

I am going to cut back on feeding to only once every 2-3 days. I've decided not to alter my water change regime or source for now. I am also not altering my lighting period b/c I think that the calurpa will really put the smackdown on the nutrient levels in the tank. I plan to run the 'fuge light 24/7

I'll post some new pics tonite, if I am able.

Comments welcome.

Well, I didn't score the digital cam last night, so no pics... I'll get it tonight for sure.

I dropped the AC70 onto my tank last night, threw the calurpa in, and dropped my DIY light on top. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. I like the current that it generates in the tank, but I have read numerous places that you want the water to move slowly through the 'fuge. Is that to encourage pods to hang around?

Anyway, I don't want to trim the impeller like many people do. Instead, I will probably modify the adjustable intake to take in even less. Until then, we'll see how the cyano handles the increased flow and the fully lit calurpa.

Someone (thank you Newbie527) has agreed to ship me some Chaeto, so I will soon have the thing packed full of green, nutrient sucking, macroalgae goodness.

I also decided to remove the fission skimmer. I did this for two reasons: (1) It made the whole setup look extremely ghetto; there isn't much room in an All-Glass 5.5gal. (2) The thing really does spew out microbubbles. The amount gradually decreases to an acceptable level, and then the airline clogs, or I have to remove the cup and clean it because it stops producing good skimmate, then I put it back in the tank and it looks like a Sprite commercial.

I may try to squeeze it into the AC70 somehow, but I don't think that I will be able to control the bubbles unless it goes into a full-fledged sump. I'm not giving up on it yet... Maybe I'll try some mods on it. The thing is made of several modules and there is no reason that the body couldn't be elongated and fitted with a proper outflow...

Hopefully, the 'fuge will replace the skimmer. If not, I'll try to mod it (the skimmer), and if all else fails, then I can sell it to someone who can use it without experiencing all the drawbacks.

I also heard back from the guy who is in charge of the water testing at the Erie City Waterworks. He said that they don't report PO4 in the consumer confidance report b/c it isn't considered a toxin. In fact, they ADD it to the water to prevent corrosion. Apparantly, added PO4 forms a microlayer on the inside of copper and lead pipes that prevents the pipes from corroding and dropping ions into the water. They add enough to bring the concentration of the entire water supply up to between 0.15ppm and 0.55ppm, depending on the time of year. They endeavor to have, at all times, a concentration not below 0.15ppm. They have been doing this since 1997.

I doubt that this is a major contributing factor to the red slime cyano in my tank, since I am almost certainly still around 10ppm NO3, but it is definatly one reason to opt out of city water in leu of Culligan RO.

Pics tonight.

Well, I forgot the camera last night, but I have it tonight.

Viola:

post-18025-1138323825_thumb.jpg

Yucky. I pulled this coral skeleton out and scrubbed it off about 5min after I took this pic.

post-18025-1138323857_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere in the tank other, more favorable things, are doing quite well.

post-18025-1138323815_thumb.jpg

The one everyone wants to see. Notice it doesn't look nearly as crowded in there since I pulled out the spraybar and skimmer.

post-18025-1138323836_thumb.jpg

A side view of my ghettofied setup.

post-18025-1138323848_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the AC70 'fuge. Yes, that is one huge sponge in there. I didn't silicone the baffle well enough and it came loose. I have been too lazy to break it down and do it right.

post-18025-1138323862_thumb.jpg

If anyone cared about what kind of light I have over the 'fuge. It is a screw-in fluorecent 6500K. I used the socket that came with the tank hood and I threw it into the little enclosure that one of my PCs came in. Notice the scotch taped plexi scraps that keep the light from falling out.

There are the pics. I am thinking about breaking this tank down and moving everything to a 6/4 split 10gal. I would like to have more room and a little more versatility. I have started a thread on my idea.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...&gopid=704254

I see that I have over 800 views, so someone must be looking at my rambings. Drop me a note to tell me what you think about all this happy-crappy.

Well, I have started using Culligan RO for my top off. I am getting it at work and I use ~200ml/day. I'll probably buy 5gal of it from Walmart and use it the next time I mix up seawater.

The cyano is still around, but in a very reduced capacity. I cut my photoperiod down to about 8hrs for the display (around 12 or 13 hrs for the AC 'fuge); it isn't spreading, but the stuff is hangin' on. Given that it isn't spreading and that I forgot to do a water change last week, I think that the calurpa is probably doing a good job. I can't say for sure, of course, b/c I don't have a test kit and I haven't been to the LFS.

I haven't run carbon since I put the AC70 on the back, and I think that to completely eliminate the cyano I will have to start running a skimmer or carbon again. I am not going to do that right now, since I will probably be rolling everything over into the 10gal in a few days.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...29entry710529

I also spent a little time last night looking at my Fission skimmer. I am trying to come up with a couple easy mods to cut down on the bubbles, but lengthen the time they are in contact with the water.

The thing is just so dang short and doesn't have any room for anything like a wood airstone or a bubble trap. Right now, I am thinking of adding a little length onto the body and allowing for a ported outflow, rather than the spill-through method that it currently employs. Unfortunatly, I am not sure what material I will use for the added length and I am also not sure that it would be an easy mod.

If it isn't an easy mod, maybe I should sell the bugger do what darkwaterdevil did.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77492

My wife thinks that I am a geek and maybe I am, but what else am I going to do? I have a BS in Biology and work at a Chevy dealership for goodness sake! I hope that offers from graduate schools start coming in soon...

Here is a current FTS:

2-2-6%202%20p.jpg

EDIT: I am also using polyester pillow stuffing from Walmart in the AC. It has pulled out all kinds of nasy stuff.

Tank is looking nice!

On the PUR filter thing, I read a post (on RC I think) where someone did some testing and the TDS reading w/ the PUR filter was really high. Add that to the PO4 in your water and it can't be good!

..... have I just not had the tank going long enough to run into trouble?

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner!

Seriously though. If you keep up on your maintenance there is no reason you should have a problem IMO. Many problems with SW stem from laziness.

The PUR filter doesn't do crap. It makes my tap water taste nice, but that's it.

Maintinence hasn't ever been a problem for me, but who knows what the future holds?

I was cheking the different things on my tank last night and I noticed that the cyano has set up house in my 'fuge. It is out in force on the calurpa and on top of the sponge; nice dark red tendrils undulating in the current. So, it evacuated the display and has reinforced the 'fuge...

I dont have the $$ for chemical media (except the carbon that I already have) but I do still have that fission nano skimmer... I really feel that I need to be skimming 24/7, but it clutters the tank and doesn't easily fit in the AC70.

I gotta get that 10g split up and running; too bad another one of the baffles came loose last night...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77662

Tank looks good so far. But i think its only a matter of time before you are going to have to set up a larger tank for those two clowns....they won't live in a 5 gallon forever. Keep us updated on how it goes.

But i think its only a matter of time before you are going to have to set up a larger tank for those two clowns....

Yeah, I knew that when I got them.

Anyway, I got my chaeto in the mail today, so I decided to pull off the AC70, clean it out, and glue in the baffle the way it should be.

I also took the razor calurpa and threw it into a 5g bucket w/ old tank water. I am not sure what I am going to do w/it, since I bought it I hate to throw it out...

After I write this post I am heading to Walmart to get several gallons of Culligan RO water. Next time I mix up a batch of sea water I won't be using tap water (score one for all the old-schoolers!).

I'd post a pic of the chaeto in my display, but I forgot the USB cable to the camera (DUH, I'm SmArT!?!>).

Here's that pic.

2-4-6%20pp.jpg

Here's my AC70 mini fuge. Polyester pillowfill will go on pump side of the baffle, cheato on the right. I still haven't decided what to do w/ my calurpa.

2-4-6%20AC70.jpg

This is what it looks like loaded with pillowfill and a bag of carbon.

2-4-6%20p%20loaded.jpg

The red mesh bag around the fill is from a bag of oranges, I just cut it to fit and tied some thread around the bottom of it to hold it closed.

Good idea looking good as if right now I would look at diffrent fish this is a nice set-up just too small. I think all your WC have keep it from cycling completely though. Very nice get some corals and re do the rock work.

I think all your WC have keep it from cycling completely though.

Eh? WC? Water Changes?

About cycling... The cycle completes when the nitrifying bacteria reach a population number that allows for the complete conversion from NH3 to NO3. In uncured rock, there is a lot of death going on and there is no bacteria there to convert the waste products. Eventually, the population grows and you stop seeing NH3 in your water. The reason people tell you not to water change during cycling is that you reduce the concentration of NH3 in the tank and therefore slow the population growth of the nitrifying bacteria that you need.

I have no NH3 or NO2 in my water and I have pleanty (too much IMO) NO3, therfore the cycle is complete.

You're right, of course, about the fish. The fish will either move to a bigger tank or will move to an LFS. I really like my clownies, but I am not so attached to them that I can't get rid of them when they outgrow their surroundings. Eventually I would like to begin corals, but I need more $$ first.

I would like to rearrange the rockwork, but I will do it when I roll it into the 10g. If I can scrounge the $$ I will also pick up a couple more lbs of LR when I roll stuff over.

Speaking of the rollover, I think I will be able to do it before the weekend is over.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77662

Ok, I really need to know which LFS told you 2 clowns in a 5g is fine. The rock doesn't look like Seacave rock, so BnB's? Angel FIsh Haven? Other?

Otherwise, good work on the fuge. Stock basket makes for good use in that fashion.

2x13w is pretty weak for lighting though.

Ok, I really need to know which LFS told you 2 clowns in a 5g is fine. The rock doesn't look like Seacave rock, so BnB's? Angel FIsh Haven? Other?

Otherwise, good work on the fuge. Stock basket makes for good use in that fashion.

2x13w is pretty weak for lighting though.

It was Sean up at BnB. He treats me right, in terms of livestock pricing, but he's full of crap a lot of the time. I wasn't going to buy two of them but a friend of mine who knew I wanted them and also knew that I didn't have the $$ bought them for me as a suprise. How can I turn them down given that I wanted at least one?

I am coming to the same conclusion as you about the 2x13w. The problem I have is: I have no $$. This is not the sort of hobby that you want to get into if you have no $$, but here I am...

I'd love to upgrade to a couple 18w or 24w, and I think my current ballasts would accommodate that power output. The $$ kills me ($14-$17/bulb) and I don't know for sure if everything is compatible.

For example, the coralife bulbs that I have contain built-in starters in the body of the bulb, will 18w and 24w bulbs have those? Do I need them to? Will my ballasts start a bulb that doesn't have a starter built-in? If I start doing the research on these, I am going to want to do it, how do I tell my wife that I want to buy a couple $17 LIGHT BULBS when we have to pay a $250 gas bill?

See where I'm at? This is why I have so much posted on the DIY thread...

• 3 weeks later...

***Update***

I have decided not to roll the tank over yet.

My wife and I will be moving in the next few months b/c I got an offer of study from my first-choice school (USC Marine Science MS program, here I come!). I think that it will easier to move the 5.5g than a 10g split.

Since i have to do SOMETHING and can't just leave the tank alone, I have picked up several more lbs of LR and will be moving it into my tank before too long.

Also, the agression of the larger clown toward the smaller clown has become severe in the last few days. The smaller clown's fins are starting to look tattered, the fish a little thin, and his color has dulled. I think it is time to move him out.

I am going to take him back to the LFS tonite and get some credit for him.

Here's that pic.

2-4-6%20pp.jpg

Here's my AC70 mini fuge. Polyester pillowfill will go on pump side of the baffle, cheato on the right. I still haven't decided what to do w/ my calurpa.

2-4-6%20AC70.jpg

Hello Mr. Fosi,

I am new to saltwater aquarium and started my 30 gals tank about a month ago. I also have a AquaClear 110 and wanted to convert that into a mini fuge. If you don't mind telling me where and what kind of parts I need to convert my AquaClear, I'll be greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of plant should I get?

btw... I like the way you setup your 10 gals.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Welcome to our world of obsession. Just remember, there are worse things to be drooling over than a brand new fish or coral.

I also have a AquaClear 110 and wanted to convert that into a mini fuge. If you don't mind telling me where and what kind of parts I need to convert my AquaClear, I'll be greatly appreciated.

You need some silicone and a piece of 1/8" acrylic (shaped to fit between the walls and flush against the bottom of the filter) to act as a baffle. Those are basically the only parts that don't come with the filter.

The grate that I put on the outlow is just the bottom of the media basket.

Also, what kind of plant should I get?

Most people here on NR use chaeto (short for chaetomorpha). I did not have very good luck with chaeto however, but I believe that it probably more my fault than anything else. Check the classified forum, there are always people selling it.

Calurpa is what I have been able to find at the LFSs around me, but many people choose not to use it because of its tendancy to mass-release reproductive cells and cloud (or crash) the tank.

I like the way you setup your 10 gals.

It's a 5.5g AGA. ;)

I have been testing a DIY skimmer of my own design since Feb 22 (12 days) on 5.5lbs of mixed cured/raw LR (purchased from an LFS and Pacific Aquaculture East), while the rock cycled.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...opic=80094&st=0

Last night, I had Petsmart test my water before I tested it and both tests came back with zero NH3/NO2 and a smattering of NO3 (no suprise since I added water change water to the bucket on several occasions). I feel the cycle is complete enough, so I am probably going to add the rock to my tank tonight.

I am also going to add the skimmer to my tank. I have not yet come up with a detailed design to do this, but this is what I am thinking (I would remove the AC70 minifuge before adding any of this new equipment):

canister%20skimmer%20setup.jpg

I am also thinking of pulling out all the sand in my tank and leaving it out. I have done a little reading about bare-bottom (BB) tanks and it seems like they aren't always easier to maintain, but I am tired of blowing sand all over while trying to suspend detritus for my AC70 to catch. In such a small tank, it is almost impossible to keep sand from being sucked into pumps and I am not interested in causing any unnecessary wear of impeller shafts.

I am not sure, but I think that it might be a good idea to go BB since I am planning to increase flow and add a beefcake skimmer. Any pros/cons? Am I retarded or an evil super-genius?

EDIT: Also, I did a pH test and it came back as ~8.4. Many sources (including ppl here on NR) state that an 'ideal' pH is one that is between 8.0-8.3. What do you all think of that and why do you think mine is 8.4? (I don't add buffers or suppliments, use RO+Instant Ocean, and have ~1" bed of crushed aragonite sand.)

ph can change, but 8.4 isn't too bad... just watch it closely... your tank is still young. i'm glad to see it was up from 7.2, which was very low. 8.2 is the standard ideal. i use oceanic salt, that gives me a solid PH of 8.2 every time.

not to dis PetSmart/PetCo, but I wouldn't trust their tests. Go get a test kit from your LFS, about 30.00, and work it yourself. they may not be doing it correctly, or using the same kit every time. My friend had his SW water tested at Petco while the LFS was being renovated, and they brought out a FW test kit to use, just to give you an idea of the kind of thing that can happen there.

those clowns will be ok for now while they're that tiny, but WILL outgrow the tank. I was just in the LFS this weekend and the clowns in their display tank are a year old, and the larger one is about the size of a computer mouse. they can get pretty big. switching to a fish like the goby, that stays small, or upgrading tanks to a little bigger (10-15 should be fine for a pair of clowns) will be a necessity in the future. It's like keeping a german shepard in a studio apt 24/7. adding a sump/fuge will definitely help with the water volume being able to handle them, but eventually the size will just be too cramped.

here's a great link to an online store that has a nano fish guide and tank requirements:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

i don't buy from them, but they have great writeups, and compatibility, tank size, feeding requirements, temprament, great info.

on inverts like shrimp, i would wait until your parameters have been steady for at least a month or two before adding anything sensitive. nitrates will fluctuate, but AM, NitrItes, and PH should be solid. a lot of the inverts are very very sensitive to water coniditions.

as far as lighting, 2x13 won't be adequate for all but the hardiest corals. you can check out any dry goods website, and they should have a 2x18 or bigger kits that you can retrofit.

looks like you're making good progress! patience is key in this hobby, as many have said, and it's true. reefs take a long time to mature, but once they do, they are stunning. :)

not to dis PetSmart/PetCo, but I wouldn't trust their tests. Go get a test kit from your LFS, about 30.00, and work it yourself.

I was with the employee when they ran the test (quick dip strips); they used the correct ones and gave me the correct interperitation. Having said that, I don't trust them either, that is why I did my own wet chem test as stated above.

those clowns will be ok for now while they're that tiny, but WILL outgrow the tank.

I always knew they would. In fact, I have already moved one of them out due to agression. By the time the remaining fish is beginning to outgrow the tank, I will have upgraded to a 10g. A 10g AGA should be enough for one clown.

you can check out any dry goods website, and they should have a 2x18 or bigger kits that you can retrofit.

I have looked into that and have already decided that it is something that I am not going to do. The reason: I plan to upgrade to a 10g within 6 months. Why spend the $$ now on a kit that isn't going to cut it when I upgrade. I am going to save up and try to get a cheap 150-175w MH system.

How about the ?? regarding going BB and my proposed canister/skimmer plumbing?

I was with the employee when they ran the test (quick dip strips); they used the correct ones and gave me the correct interperitation. Having said that, I don't trust them either, that is why I did my own wet chem test as stated above.

I always knew they would. In fact, I have already moved one of them out due to agression. By the time the remaining fish is beginning to outgrow the tank, I will have upgraded to a 10g. A 10g AGA should be enough for one clown.

I have looked into that and have already decided that it is something that I am not going to do. The reason: I plan to upgrade to a 10g within 6 months. Why spend the $$ now on a kit that isn't going to cut it when I upgrade. I am going to save up and try to get a cheap 150-175w MH system.

How about the ?? regarding going BB and my proposed canister/skimmer plumbing?

I'll check those out questions... sorry I missed that stuff... haha, lot of info to go through! :) sounds like you've got it under control.

I finally got a chance to add my new rock to the tank.

I have also been sucking out sand during water changes and I hope to have it all out within before I do three more.

3-8-6%20FTS%20p.jpg

I wish I could have gotten some good up-close picks of the rock, b/c it has some neat macroalgaes and tube worms on it.

Archived