Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pulsing Xenia not Pulsing

Eric Lundgren

Eric Lundgren

Bought a beautiful pulsing Xenia from LFS yesterday afternoon. Last night it was 50% open and pulsing well. This morning it is 100% open and full but there is alsmost no pulsing. They now almost look like the other Xenia that just wave in the current. They look happy and fully pumped up though. Any ideas?

24G Nano with stock lighting and Xenia are just above midpoint in height in tank.

They are getting a medium flow when the Hydor rotates over there way.

Thanks

Eric

Bought a beautiful pulsing Xenia from LFS yesterday afternoon. Last night it was 50% open and pulsing well. This morning it is 100% open and full but there is alsmost no pulsing. They now almost look like the other Xenia that just wave in the current. They look happy and fully pumped up though. Any ideas?

I noticed mine mostly pulse during feeding time and in the dark when the light's aren't on. Other than that they are open and waving in the water, and they pulse very little other than that. So if it's a problem I have the same one.

Eric,

There is not agreement on what the pumping is for, but it probably is for filter feeding or to disperse strong light over more of the colony. It is only a general indicator, but how many watts of light per gallon do you have. I don't know that either of these are related to pulsing but I would make sure that you dose some iodide and to check your pH and Alk with a good quality test kit and to make sure that they are good.

Hope this helps,

Barry

customerservice@kahunacorals

Eric Lundgren

Thanks Barry I will check. The standard lighting in the 24 gallon (really 19 by the way) nano is I believe 36 watts 50/50.

Also, I had just come from visiting your site. Very nice, but one suggestion especially for those of us with nanos is to list the size of the pice along with its description. Hard to tell from the pics. If it said 3-4 inches or something would make it much easier. Guesstimates are okay too.

Thanks

Eric

Eric

I bought some pulsing Xenia from LFS that was barely pulsing___ Lfs said it wasnt pulsing but I disaggreed and bought it..

LFS had it under VHO lighting, but mentioned the bulbs needed replacing... took it home put it under my 72 watt PC fixture on 18 gal tank.....Guess what ?? it didnt pulse JUST looked good and waved..

Two months later...

Replaced crappy stock light with 130 watt Dual sunpaq PC lighting by Current

Xenia now pulses like crazy :D

Long story--but my problem appeared to be in the lighting

Izzue

I have to agree. I have some xenia that barely pulses in my 40 that has VHo lights, in my VA tank the xenia I have pulses like crazy, is more full and splits quite often.

Lighting appears to be an issue - plus lets not forget water quality ;)

Eric Lundgren

I just got back from the LFS where, by the way. it was pulsing like crazy at the store. They have VHOs over the tank it was in and the VHOs are about 2 feet from where the xenia was. I was thinking maybe they were getting too much light in my tank and was going to move them down a little bit but the previous post seems to think they are not getting enough light.

Hmm

All my bad water readings are 0 by the way. I also have never dosed my tank with anything.

Give it a few more days before you start making changes.

I bought a pulsing frag from a local reefer. It took it 2-3 days before it plumped up and started moving again. He said when he bought the mother colony, it took 2 weeks before it started pulsing for him.

When you say pulsing what does that exactly mean? How do they "pulse"??? I have just got mine last week and it open full up and waving in the current is that a pulsing action?

Archived