ReefCleaners.org

Wow! What a bristleworm!

sr71pav

I just saw the mother bristleworm in my tank. I saw at least 6 inches and didn't get to see the whole thing. That thing scared the heck out of me! No way am I putting ungloved hands in that tank ever again. How does it even make it in a 15G tank? I'm trying to decide whether to attempt pull it out when I get around to switching tank setups.

Is it going to come try to eat me in my sleep? :)

I had a clam die on me once. When I reached in to pull it out, a huge 5-6" bristeworm was inside eating it. Very scary!

I have one in my pico that is huge! I'm not sure how long but it's definitely fat almost as big as my little finger. Quite pretty as far as worms go, nice bluish color with shiny hair! :P

My tanks really only been up since late September-early October. Amazing how much you can miss if you're not looking at the tank at just the right moment (I'll never figure out how the trochus hide so easily). This one's probably a centimeter across at the moment. Definitely have to keep it in mind that it's in there somewhere...just waiting to spring forth upon me and wreak havoc!

I'm already armed, just never thought I'd be worried about marine animals attacking me!

er1c_the_reefer

biggest bristleworm i've seen was probably a fireworm about 18 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. we took it out of a coral holding tank at the lfs i work at after we saw it eatting an elegance. scary part is that it broke off, so we don't really know how long it actually was...

I saw that thing. I know 6 inches isn't anywhere near the biggest. Just shocked I already have something of that size surviving in my tank at all.

It might depend if the thing makes a grab at me or not! I've begun work on a new setup (15G with a 20L sump/fuge), and once that's up everything is being transferred to the new tank, this guy included, unless he decides I look like food.

No fun. I don't care if they damage the tank or eat detritus those are nasty creatures. The worm 'probably' is reef safe but it would be best to remove it. Not to get you down, but the presence of these worms is generally a sign of excess nutrients in the substrate.

Best of Luck,

Barry Katz

Thus far, I haven't had any problems with die-off of anything (after my Christmas debacle, a true miracle). I'm not surprised if there's excess nutrients about, though.

Not to get you down, but the presence of these worms is generally a sign of excess nutrients in the substrate.

Where did that come from? Why would you say that?

Archived