ReefCleaners.org

Ammonia + coral

Lord Nano

i have a 10g tank with a 5.5 gallon sump. the sump has cheato macroalgea in it and its swarming with pods.

I have a pulsing xenia that was given to me by a fellow aquarist. All my params were 0 at the time and i had just recently finished adding the clean up crew (adding a few at a time over about 5 days).

My problem is the xenia appears to be doing great, but im getting an ammonia reading now of about 0.4-0.5.

Is there anything that could throw my test off because ive had 0 for all params for over a week now?

i have a 10g tank with a 5.5 gallon sump. the sump has cheato macroalgea in it and its swarming with pods.

I have a pulsing xenia that was given to me by a fellow aquarist. All my params were 0 at the time and i had just recently finished adding the clean up crew (adding a few at a time over about 5 days).

My problem is the xenia appears to be doing great, but im getting an ammonia reading now of about 0.4-0.5.

Is there anything that could throw my test off because ive had 0 for all params for over a week now?

Certain softies will thrive in high nutrient environments. I've always believed xenia to be one of them. Clams also do well in this environment, so well in fact, that many clam farmers dose their grow out tanks with ammonium nitrate.

grim

will this effect adding my clownfish? i have him on hold and the latest i can pick him up is monday...after that i lose him being on hold for me.

A xenia closing up with the lights on is not a sign it is dying.I have over 30 Xenia stalks in a grow out tank and seen them close many times with the lights on..If it starts turning a dark purple , then that's not a good sign. If you are worried why not do a quick water change. It'll dillute the ammonia , if there is any and it couldn't hurt..

our xenia does poorly when the tank is well skimmed. try feeding more (i know this sounds like bad advice, but...)

You have to find that happy medium. my zoos are that way as well it seems.

Try a water change, or two over the next several days, maybe 15% each time, make sure to get the gravel really good, my xenia closes occasionally.... nothing to worry about tho, they are very hardy coral, just work on the amonia, oh? and if you have room for any fish, a diamond goby is great at sifting through your substrate, and will help keep that down as well......

the stalks were not only closed but sagging....as if the coral was deflating, thats why i said it looked like it was dieing....i did a water change and rechecked ammonia now (about 2 hours later) and its still high....about .3-.4

I don't normally advise this but i think sea chem makes a substance that removes nitrite and amonia, might work in a extreme case, temporarly till you can fix the real problem. how fast are you stocking your aquarium? mine , when i start to stock quickly it always goes to hell, if your going fast, slow down the pace, not to say you are, just mearly checking, and it will just take some time....

check this link;

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html

i added my clean up crew of 2 hermits and 6 snails over the course of 5 days....

adding 1 and sometimes 2 a day (when i added 2, it was small nassarius snails)

Archived