SaltCritters.com

two questions: should whelk be removed and how you run your filters

tygab

Hi all,

Thanks in advance... tank's coming along nicely - we exchanged the LR with the duster eating fireworm to a larger LR.

First question - I think I've just ID'd another hitchiker as a whelk. It is black, mottled shell, with a grey/black proboscis. It is fairly large. It does not appear to have attacked anything and comes out mostly at night. From what I've read most people do not like whelks in a reef tank. Should this guy go entirely or at least be banished to a refugium at a later date (we plan to have one but have not set one up yet)?

2nd question. we have aquaclear 70 powerheads with the quick filters attached. One has the usual cartridge, the other a purapad trimmed down to fit. We have one spare of each (well, the other half of the purapad since we cut it).

Do you recommend using the cartridges, carbon pack, nothing, something else? The filters seem to be working great but we need to decide if we should change them, go cartridgeless, or whatever, in the near future. How often would you recommend changing them if that is the route to go?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Hi all,

Thanks in advance... tank's coming along nicely - we exchanged the LR with the duster eating fireworm to a larger LR.

First question - I think I've just ID'd another hitchiker as a whelk. It is black, mottled shell, with a grey/black proboscis. It is fairly large. It does not appear to have attacked anything and comes out mostly at night. From what I've read most people do not like whelks in a reef tank. Should this guy go entirely or at least be banished to a refugium at a later date (we plan to have one but have not set one up yet)?

2nd question. we have aquaclear 70 powerheads with the quick filters attached. One has the usual cartridge, the other a purapad trimmed down to fit. We have one spare of each (well, the other half of the purapad since we cut it).

Do you recommend using the cartridges, carbon pack, nothing, something else? The filters seem to be working great but we need to decide if we should change them, go cartridgeless, or whatever, in the near future. How often would you recommend changing them if that is the route to go?

whelks are carnivorous (sp) its only a matter of time before they eat something you paid for. nasty little buggers. do you plan on having a sump? or just a h.o.b. filter type ref.? it might be hard to contain him in a h.o.b.

i dont use any filters in my tank, just l.r. once in a while i add carbon, but it only has a effective span of 1-2 weeks.

whelks are carnivorous (sp) its only a matter of time before they eat something you paid for. nasty little buggers. do you plan on having a sump? or just a h.o.b. filter type ref.? it might be hard to contain him in a h.o.b.

i dont use any filters in my tank, just l.r. once in a while i add carbon, but it only has a effective span of 1-2 weeks.

Hmm, thanks for the info. Seems to be what I read, just wanted a direct opinion. Hate to remove stuff, but if it will kill...

-T

Archived