inTank Media Baskets

Lace to LIve!?

jay2k2

I broke apart one of my liverocks and it took about 1 month and a half for the exposed rock to get covered in coralline again.   I would imagine that biological activity in new lace rock will occur before you see a visible change.  

I'm thinking 3-4 weeks for some decent biological activity within the rock.

quiksilver5768

It doesnt happen that fast everyone....coraline may grow but the rock is not yet fully live. It takes a very long time for the actual rock to become FULLY alive. In saying that when you break it apart...tubeworms fall out alone with many many pods. This took my tank around 4 months....

NanoReefer53

been one month for my hawaii base rock and the purple coraline is growing on the rocks near the top of the water. Near the bottom it has more greenish coraline algae. Keep you alkalinity and calcium up. I had a hard time with Kent Tech AB. Only stayed around 9dkh and 400ppm calcium. I just switched to kalk yesterday so i'll let u guys know how it goes.

I have a question then.  I am going to place my liverock from my 3 gallon into a 12 gallon with bare rock.  Is there any reason why I can't transfer the critters that I already have in my 3 into the 12 right away - even tho ALL the rock isnt live yet?  They will still have the same amount of liverock around as before, just more water.

know what I mean?

The critters I'm talking about are just a few shrooms, polyps, a peppermint shrimp, and cleanup crew.

Archived