Cultivated Reef

How much circulation?

mhmh

From this board's "Setting up a Nano-reef" article:

Lastly, you will need a small powerhead pump for circulation.  We have found Marineland's Penguin powerhead 550 to be quiet and reliable, but all other similarly sized pumps will work.

I see many people are using HOB filters with media removed plus multiple powerheads. I'm planning on setting up a 10 gallon nano. I have a tank with a Penguin mini filter without the Bio-Wheel. If I add a Micro-Jet 450, will I have enough circulation?

Is there an article that discusses circulation needs?

that should be plenty o circulation mhmh. basically you want want to turnover your tank volume at least 10x/hour while not blowing your critters out of the tank. certain corals like SPS will require more direct higher flow levels while mushrooms for example don't really care for a lot of flow. the penguin HOB will accomplish the turnover by itself but the powerhead will allow you to create some regions of higher flow and varying currents. then when you get critters judge their flow need and place them accordingly. if they seem happy after a few days to a week they can then be "permanently" (keep in mind that this is a nano, and everything nano is relative) positioned. otherwise they or powerheads can be repositioned accordingly. HTH! FWIW on smallish tanks phs with adjustable flow are really convienient so the micro jet is perfs!

I always recommend two, don't forget this is really the only circulation you have. If one gets clogged and you don't noticed, it may not cause any major damage but if you are on vaction for a week it will. On my 10 I had two Hagen 201 power heads. That is what I would recommend. Hagens are small and reliable.

Archived