ReefCleaners.org

New Critters

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi all,

We went on a field trip to the LFS and I acquired my first corals (can relate to other post about coral prices!).  Purchased a rock with about 20 button polyps, a toadstool leather, and a blood shrimp.

All are doing well, sorry no pics yet.  If anyone has any good suggestions for enhancing the well-being of these guys I'd love to hear them.  All of the button polyps except about 4 open completely, the remaining 4 or so only open about halfway.  Is this normal?  

My shrimp is beautiful and very friendly.  My 3-year old was tickled pink when he neatly accepted a piece of shrimp from her fingers.  He seems to like palling around with my big 4" striped hermit, will ride on his back around the tank.   And speaking of the striped hermit, he marched right up to the button polyps, grabbed one with his claw, and started eating it.  He tasted it, then started backing away from it- I think it released something unpleasant- and has left it alone ever since.  I was afraid he'd have to be removed.  

Just thought I'd share (because I love my tank!)- and again, if anyone has any suggestions for me I'd love to hear.

Tasha

thegr8tdane

Hi Tasha,

Just wanted to congradulate you on your new additions! I don't personally have buttons but your sound o.k. just wait 1 or 2 days and they'll prolly open all the way up. Just give em alittle time. :)

Anyhow I remembered how you where researching, and saying the drive was far? was that it? just curious cause I have a lfs but there is a better one that I know of but it's 1.5 hrs away. How far was your drive?

I am excited just reading your post!

I will be buying my first ever live rock later on today!

And about a week later I will get a few critters etc.

The rock I am buying is already cured.

I cant wait! :)

Hey sahin, just some cautious advice,,, don't play on adding them at any certain time, you should have your water tested in a week and take it from there, slow and steady... Good luck though, and sounds like a lot of fun tashayar, good luck with them, (keep an eye on that 4 inch hermit, he would spell trouble with other things in the future)

gaber

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi-

I drove 1.5 hours to a LFS in Marshfield, WI.  Once in a while, it's worth the drive, don't you think?  I had one 30 miles away but they closed- they claimed they were moving to a new location but Marshfield FS says they went bankrupt.  The Marshfield store had a lot of different things to offer in the way of corals; I wasn't sure I approved of the crowded tanks (I think they must have had 30 or so fish in a 55, but I'm not sure, the tank might have been bigger).  It was about $80 for all three critters, so I think it's going to be awhile before we go back- both because of money and distance.  These were a birthday present.

All the polyps are open now except one only opens about halfway.  It's funny, if my daughter comes stomping in the room, they all close.  Do they eventually get used to movement?  Anyone know?

And Gaber, we are keeping an eye on the hermit- he now avoids the polyps like the plague, so I think he knows better- and he hasn't touched the toadstool.  He won't even crawl over the polyps now.  I hate to get rid of him because he's the whole reason I got into this in the first place (the $500 crab!).  I remember you were one of the people who helped me when I first posted to this board. :)

The shrimp is great, and what a beautiful creature!  I'll hand him a piece of food, and he holds it with his claws extended out and picks bits off, piece by piece.  If a fish swims by, he'll grab the food and bring it in close to his body, as if he thinks the fish might take it!  I was also amazed the way he knows when I feed the clownfish and will swim up and take food from the surface.  

Thanks for your posts.  Good luck Sahin and let us know about your critters when you get them.  I think the best advice is to take it slow.  I waited about 3+ months for fish and nearly 6 for corals.  

Tasha

cool, i'm gad all your polyps have opened. good luck with your new aditions!

(Edited by Metznreef at 10:19 pm on May 26, 2002)

Archived