Top Shelf Aquatics

NC 6

O Fs

Hey all, whats up

was wondering if any of you nano cube 6 users have changed your stock lights yet, if so wanna share some ideas to get me going on one ? :D

:lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kept my stock lighting, will probably just be going with an anemone and clownfish though. Even with the stock lighting the water temp changes by two or three degrees when the lights are on. If you change out your lights make sure you leave room for more fans or get yourself a chiller

Kept my stock lighting, will probably just be going with an anemone and clownfish though. Even with the stock lighting the water temp changes by two or three degrees when the lights are on. If you change out your lights make sure you leave room for more fans or get yourself a chiller

Anemones need more light than the stock 6g lights put out.

Want lighting options go HERE

I am still getting my 6G NC going......I'm not new to the hobby though....and 18w of stock lighting is just poo poo IMO. It's good enough for a lot of things......but I am a light junkie. Marine life looks so much better when you have a good amount of light...again JMO. I have 3x18w in there now.

dscf00376rk.jpg

It's easy. You can buy the parts from nanocustoms.com. The only problem is when you bust it open and pull it all apart you have to get new power supplies for your LEDs and fans.....or have better wiring knowlege than I have.....I just got new power supplies. I wanted them on timers anyway.

Ummmmm.....the 2.18 retro fit kit is like 35 bucks and the heatsheild was 15. :)

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotune...&products_id=34

Oh and the 12v power supplies i picked up at Home depot for like 8 bucks each.

I bought my NC6 from nanocustoms with a 3.18 watt hood. They hooked me up with 3 ballast (remote mounted in a really nice Aluminum case) so I can control each one seperate on a timer. I just started setting it up, should be getting my live rock today i hope.

Cool. Chris at nanocustoms is good people. Your set-up sounds sweet. I was going to get my hood modded by him but I am doing it myself for fun. And I want to be able to point and say "Look what I did, Look what I did!" :lol::D

Fish stick – really nice mod. I have a 6 gallon NC as well. Out of curiosity, what type of fans are you running; did you need to modify the existing holes? Also, how do you plan on counter balancing the heat of 3 - 18 watt bulbs?

nice, i wonder if people at nanotuners can do just the hood for you, i wanna know how much that would cost hehe

Yeah they have a "send in service" you send Chris your hood and he'll mod it and send it back. hth

Fish stick – really nice mod. I have a 6 gallon NC as well. Out of curiosity, what type of fans are you running; did you need to modify the existing holes? Also, how do you plan on counter balancing the heat of 3 - 18 watt bulbs?

I got some new 50mm fans off eBay that I am going to try first. The stock JBJ fans are 50mm X 50mm X 15mm and are LOUD as heck. You could fit some 20mm thick fans in there I think. I am not really worried about heat right now.......it's frickin January :P Chris at nanocustoms is working on an ICA chiller for the 6g and he said it will be out in February so I will most likely pick one of those up then.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned concerning upgrading and heat is the fact that the ballasts are originally in the hood (major heat producers) and when you add more lighting they get moved to a remote location, this in itself will offset alot of the heat problems without changing fans. If I recall correctly after Chris changed out the original hood to 3.18 specs the temp in the hood was actually lower without changing fans. I do know that some will want to changeout the fans anyway just for sound issues but I don't think that most of us would need to make the change in regards to heat. HTH, Skip

I’m new to this hobby and never realized that as well. I guess upgrading your lights is a great way to not only increase you lighting but possibly reduce your temps as well. Fish Stick – have you noticed any changes in your temps. Sorry to be so inquisitive but I’m thinking about upgrading my lights soon.

Thanks

I am still modding the tank....it wont have SW in it until next week sometime. I am getting over the flu and haven't worked on it in over a week. But I will keep you posted. :D

wait, i just noticed one thing, you've got no splash guard on those 3 18w bulbs, or is it just a picture of it naked?

if thats how you have it setup, how do you keep water from splashing in that area?

let us know how high the water temp gets ;)

Then check out how long it takes to broil a couple of those tastey morsels in your avatar :D

IMO the 18W was pretty good for most things in the 6-gallon, a second light might be helpful, but the third is overkill - just my opinion.

Personally, I'd get a pump with double the flow first before upgrading the lighting - then see how much that raises your temperature, then decide about putting in another light. If you're keeping this in an air-conditioned room it'll probably work, but if the temperature gets above 75-80C I'd keep a close eye on it, a small volume of water like this can heat up quick

....but if the temperature gets above 75-80C I'd keep a close eye on it, a small volume of water like this can heat up quick

I would worry to if my tank temp rose to 176F.

:P

Fish Stick, would you mind posting the pics of your lights in this thread. I would like to see how you did your lighting through all stages of installation if you have pictures. What does it look like now? I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to figure out how I would go about upgrading the lights (more like getting the bf to upgrade the lights...but he needs visuals). This may be a stupid question, but with three lights do you have 2 ballasts? The 226 ballast and the original? How does it work?

Thanks

Sure....I got your PM but I am at work. I'll post them Tuesday or Wednesday. :D And you are right...I used the stock ballast and a Pony 226.

Sure....I got your PM but I am at work. I'll post them Tuesday or Wednesday. :D And you are right...I used the stock ballast and a Pony 226.

Archived