Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

55 Gallon FOWLR Journal

Nanomaniac

Well I decided to set up a 55 gallon FOWLR using a spare 55 gallon I had in my garage. The tank will be a FOWLR to begin with, but in the future I will upgrade the lighting and turn the tank into a reef tank. Shall we begin?

Epuipment

55 gallon All-Glass tank(48"Lx13"Wx20"H)

Wood stand

Aquaclear 110

Remora protein skimmer

3 Maxijet 1200's

Current satellite 2x65watt Power Compact light system

1 100watt All-Glass heater

30lbs of base rock from hirocks.com

5lbs of live rock

40lbs of white sand

Livestock

Fish

1-2 False Perculas

3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis

1 Royal Gramma

1 Sixe Line Wrasse or 1 Carpenters Flasher Wrasse

1 Blenny, but not sure which one yet

Inverts

1 Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Margarita snails, Nassarius snails, and Hermits

Empty tank on stand

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I have already ordered the Filter, Skimmer, Powerheads, and the Light that should be here in the next few days. Well that is it. All comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

:)

NaughtyCashew

Sounds like a good plan!

Ever consider drilling your tank? Even if you are doing FOWLR adding a sump will increase your water volume and keep more fish in your display. Also, once it is set-up you may wish you did it when you had a chance. At least thats what somebody told me :blink:

You also might want to add some more live rock to your display - maybe bump it up to 50lbs rock total? Because 55's are so narrow and tall, you may want to consider using some sort of pvc skeleton or acrylic support structure. That way you can have a useable sandbed in the front.

Keep the pics coming! :D

Ever consider drilling your tank? Even if you are doing FOWLR adding a sump will increase your water volume and keep more fish in your display. Also, once it is set-up you may wish you did it when you had a chance. At least thats what somebody told me :blink:

Well I don't have the right equipment, and I don't have any experience drilling glass, so I didn't want fo crack the glass.

You also might want to add some more live rock to your display - maybe bump it up to 50lbs rock total? Because 55's are so narrow and tall, you may want to consider using some sort of pvc skeleton or acrylic support structure. That way you can have a useable sandbed in the front.

Well at first I was going to set this tank up as a FO, but then I thought why not add some live rock, so I was just going to add about 5lbs on top of the 30lbs of base rock, but I may add more live rock.

Here is a picture of the tank with the black background on it.

IMG_1769.jpg

if you want to drill it, get a diamond coated etching/engraving dremil tool bit for under $10 at lowes. I used this on a new 10g and it worked like a charm. Not the prettiest hole, but that is my poor artistic ability. All you have to do it keep going around in circles until it pokes through.

As long as it isn't tempered you should be able to, just buy a cheap tank (10g >$10) and practice. And if you do it right, you can still use the small tank as a sump.

NaughtyCashew

Hey Nanomaniac,

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread w/ a tank drilling discussion, but it really is a simple thing to do. I used some diamond coated hole saw bits from e-bay and a cordless drill. Worked like a charm. If you happen to live in my neighborhood (Irvine, CA) I would be more than happy to help..

One more thing, and please forgive me if I am being critical. You may want to consider ditching the black background and painting the back with Krylon Fusion paint (product placement). It is really simple to do and eliminates problems with the background (like water and salt creep getting between the background and the tank). I have some extra paint laying around, so I can help you with that too.

Your tank looks like its off to a great start!

One more thing, and please forgive me if I am being critical. You may want to consider ditching the black background and painting the back with Krylon Fusion paint (product placement). It is really simple to do and eliminates problems with the background (like water and salt creep getting between the background and the tank). I have some extra paint laying around, so I can help you with that too.

Yeah I painted the back of my 2.5 gallon using Krylon Fusion paint. Attaching the background on the 55 gallon took awhile, and it looks okay but I know it will look better painted, so I will probably go ahead and paint the back.

Your not hijacking my thread your trying to help and give your opinions. :)

When I first decided to set up this tank up it was just going to be a FO with no live rock and the tank was going to be mainly just to keep fish, so I am going to go with my original plan using a Remora skimmer and a Aquaclear 110 as my filtration.

Also if you want to drive up to Minnesota to help me drill a tank sometime then feel free to. :lol:

I painted the back of the tank today which looks alot better than the background. I also received the Remora and three Maxijets today.

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

The light, filter, and last Maxijet should be delivered tomorrow.

Update: I picked up all the RO water, filled the tank, turned on all the equipment, and added the salt. I will add the sand once the salt is all dissolved. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Pictures

Added the water and the salt

IMG_1851.jpg

Water started to clear up

IMG_1858.jpg

Side shot

IMG_1862.jpg

Added the sand

IMG_1866.jpg

Moonlights

IMG_1863.jpg

The powerheads are creating great flow throughout the tank and the light makes the tank nice and bright. I will post a better full tank shot once the water is completely clear.

I'm taking notes because I too have a spare 55 (except it's sitting on my bedroom floor) :)

How many coats of Fusion did it take? I didn't realize it could adhere to glass. I used it on an acrylic 50g once and that worked well (which is now sitting behind my couch)

Bill

I ordered 30lbs of base rock from Hirocks that should be here sometime next week. I also added 2lbs of live rock to the tank. I will post more pictures next week.

Update: The protein skimmer is starting to skim and isn't producing as many micro bubbles as before. The base rock should be here in the next few days. I will take pictures once the rock is delivered. :)

• 2 weeks later...

how long did it take for your water to clear up after you added sand?

i just put sand and lr in my 60g and it has been 24 hours and it is still pretty cloudy, i think when i poured the sand it screwed it up..any suggestions..

thanks

This is going to be a G R E A T tank nanomaniac! One question....how do u like ur satellite? I am thinking om going to get the 30" model for my future 29gallon....with one fan, two 65w bulbs, and one lunar light...all for only $171.20 SHIPPED!!!....AMAZING EH???..lol

thx

Flick

ps- I LOVE your tank...btw i think a nice royal blue background would make it stand out even more!...and would accent your future fish and corals brilliant hues...

Flick

how long did it take for your water to clear up after you added sand?

i just put sand and lr in my 60g and it has been 24 hours and it is still pretty cloudy, i think when i poured the sand it screwed it up..any suggestions..

thanks

About a day. I rinsed the sand in a 5g bucket before I put the sand in the tank.

This is going to be a G R E A T tank nanomaniac! One question....how do u like ur satellite? I am thinking om going to get the 30" model for my future 29gallon....with one fan, two 65w bulbs, and one lunar light...all for only $171.20 SHIPPED!!!....AMAZING EH???..lol

thx

Flick

I'm pretty happy with it. Great quality, fixture looks great, and I love the white moonlights.

Archived