Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Nano

kevin brocato

kevin brocato

Plan on doing a nano. 10 gallon. I plan on using a HOB filter for circulation. I have 3 Maxi Jet powerheads (900,600,400) from previous ventures and should I use the largest one 900 or smallest 400 or mixture of 600 and 400 both for current? Made me a DIY hood with PFO PC lights in hood. 2x 28 watt fixtures. Use both or just one strip of 28's? What type bulbs? 6700 or 10K white or 50/50 or any actinic blues? Lights will be about 8.5 inches from water. Any help would be appreciated. Also these powerheads are new in box and if I don't use some I will sell them if anybody is interested. I also have a Icecap 175 MH kit with bulb and ballast for sale with cooling fan. Never used!

Thanks,

Kevin :blush::)

Hey good luck with the new tank... BUT, looking through your list of stuff there... Hell, throw that halide on there and use ALL those powerheads, throw them on a wave timer and fill that thing up stonies!

So you have TWO 2x28 setups? If so, one 2 X 28 would prolly be more than adequate for most stocking choices, I'm a big fan of the "one actinic, one 10K" on two bulb setups. Also an HOB towards one end of the tank and one of the smaller PH's at the other end would prolly suffice as well.... all depends on what you want to put in it... come up with a plan for stocking it and make your choices accordingly.

kevin brocato

Thanks Glazer, I am flattered for your reply since viewing your tank. Awesome! I tried that MH years ago under a 75 gallon and you can't sleep in the same room. Too bright! Yes, I have 2 28 watt PC for a total of 4 bulbs, you know how the 2 are welded together which actually count as a set so I have 2 sets of bulbs for a total of 56 watts. I was thinking of using 6700K or 10 K for one set and maybe blue actinic for the other. Should I just use 1 set (2 bulbs) which would be 28 watts total? I would like to keep both soft and hard corals. I know each specie has its own light requirements. So you think HOB on one side of tank and PH on the other. 400 or 600? :|

Yes, I have 2 28 watt PC for a total of 4 bulbs, you know how the 2 are welded together which actually count as a set so I have 2 sets of bulbs for a total of 56 watts.

Okay Kev, I hadn't heard or seen the PC's referred to that way before... I have always just considered it one bulb. The two tubes making one bulb instead of a "set". So yes, I would use both sets/bulbs. Either a 6500K or a 10,000K with the second bulb/set being an actinic I think makes for a nice color combo. I also like the idea of running the actinic for an hour or so before and after the daylight bulb is on for that commonly referred to "dawn to dusk" effect. Not sure if your setup would allow that though, as long as each bulb has it's own powercord/ballast arrangement you're good to go.

Usually you will see when researching corals the big majority of softies and LPS's require "low to medium" flow. Hard to be specific as to which PH is going to accomplish this for you. Currents will obviously be affected by placement of the PH as well as how you have your rock arranged. Nice thing is you have several to experiment with... sooo, you'll have to do just that, experiment. Guessing your 600 would do the trick though.

kevin brocato

Thanks Deimos and Glazer. As far as using the 175 MH it is too bright. Can't even be in same room with it. Will go with both PC for 56 watts total. Any suggestions on LR rock setups to get the currents I want? :)

How much $$$ do you want for the halide. I personally will not use a halide again, excess heat is not worth it. I had a 250W on a 10 and I could feel heat in my bedroom even in the winter time, and with two fans on it. That is crazy. I went back to the cool running pc. :P

kevin brocato

I wil sell the MH for 200 bucks. Paid $285.00 for it originally. It is brand new, never used on a tank. No salt spray, nada! Will also throw in a WW Grainger cooling fan and pay the shipping to you!

kevin brocato

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. Just picture a MH bulb with reflector and socket and a ballast with all the plug ins. Cooling fan is 4x4 inches. If you are really interested I will work with you. If not satisfied, will refund money. I will not screw you! Too many good people on this wonderful site. MH is an Icecap brand if that helps. Might be able to pull up a pic on Premium Aquatics site in their lighting sections. That is where I got it from.

I don't want it, because I am not a big halide reefer. But I might know someone who is. I would suggest putting it in the classifieds section here on nano-reef.com.

I don't want it, because I am not a big halide reefer. But I might know someone who is. I would suggest putting it in the classifieds section here on nano-reef.com. In case he don't want it atleast you may get a bite!

kevin brocato

No it really doesn't look like that. It doesn't have that hood shape, just a basic reflector. The socket and bulb are the same though.

Archived