ReefCleaners.org

RJ

I have had fresh water tanks for a few years and wanted to start a small salt water.  I used a 20 gal.  I purchased new heater and lighting, coral rock and plenty of live rock, I set it up for a couple of weeks then added a damsel and a green chromis (spelling?)  It started to grow and was great, had some worms that came out at night and what appreared to be a feather duster or two (very small)  Then in my excitement wanted a new fish.. (6-8 wks now)  So I bought a beautiful mid sized Koran angel.  Then (hind site being 20/20) I thought, is this reef safe?  It appears to be very gentle with the other fish and does nibble at the rocks, my feather dusters seemed to have dissapeared then came back, I think they are hiding.  Anyone have any experience with Koran Angels???  He is doing very well, but I want stuff to grow too.

I would take it back.  Not only are they not reef safe, they get very large, and most species of angels are considered difficult and only suitable for advanced aquarists.  I'd guess for that species you'd need a 1-200 gallon tank.

Here is a link to one person's experience.  Marine Depot Live states that the adult size of this fish is 15". //www.lakehouse.com/aquarium/koranangel.htm

Do a Google search for Pomacanthus semicirculatus if you need more information.

And don't forget to research thoroughly before adding any other fish or inverts to your tank. ;)

A flame is a Centropyge (dwarf) angel, which is entirely different from the Korans, Emperors, French angels, etc.

Whether he would be OK or not depends on the other inhabitants.  40 gals is large enough for a flame, though.

If you want an angel you should get a pygmy angel they are the most reef safe out of the angel family.  I had an eibli in my 50 gal. reef.  In my opinion I would not get another though, the thing was always nipping at corals.  It didnt matter what it was she had to try it.  

Archived