Cultivated Reef

100 Gallon Oceanview Reef

reefer21

12/22/05:

I know that this is a nano forum dedicated to nano reefs, but I would like to share my tank progress with the members of nano-reef because I believe this is a nice community and other people have done it before. After dealing with a 29g nano reef tank for over a year now with nothing but problems, I ditched it for a bigger tank. Actually, I have been thinking about doing a big aquarium for a while now. The tank is a 100g (60”x19”x20”). More about the 100g equipment later, well I will just let the pics speak for themselves...

102_0298.jpg

102_0304.jpg

102_0306.jpg

102_0311.jpg

Big Update: 12/28/05

I haven't updated in a little while so I guess I will catch up on what I have been working on for the past couple of days. I started off by finishing up the painting on the canopy and stand. After I let the paint dry, I then polyurethaned the whole thing. I installed a wood floor under the stand. After that I polyurethaned it too. I cut a piece of foam to go under the tank and another piece for the back of the stand to help muffle the sound. Then I waited on everything to dry and started installing 4 VHO's to the canopy w/ a reflector. Boy, I have never seen so many wires for just 4 lights in my life . I painted the back of the aquarium blue just because I wanted it to look natural even though black would match the overflow . After that I put some glass divider pieces in the sump and siliconed them in. I then started to work on the plumbing for the tank and finished that up last night. Today I filled up the aquarium with water to check for leaks and test the pump out. All good so far, except I need to stop the noise coming fro the overflow (it sounds like Niagara Falls) Well enough of the chat, here are some pics

102_0320.jpg

102_0321.jpg

102_0326.jpg

102_0329.jpg

102_0332.jpg

102_0335.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you arent going to use that small 20L for a sump....Kind of small for a 100 gallon dont you think?

It looks like you are just going to have 1 return for the tank? What you should do is drill a hole in each side of the overflow box and split the return in the o-flow box and "y" it to 2 returns instead of one. It will also look a lot cleaner than it is now...

Id also try and paint the frame of the tank black with krylon fusion to match the stand

I hope you arent going to use that small 20L for a sump....Kind of small for a 100 gallon dont you think?

It looks like you are just going to have 1 return for the tank? What you should do is drill a hole in each side of the overflow box and split the return in the o-flow box and "y" it to 2 returns instead of one. It will also look a lot cleaner than it is now...

Id also try and paint the frame of the tank black with krylon fusion to match the stand

Well the the 20L is going to have to work for now, because I already put partitions in it. Also there is no way for the sump to overflow becasue I added a check valve to the return line to stop back flush incase of a power outage. The overflow box is not 100% final because I'm getting bad noises from it. As for the frame I did paint it black to match the stand.

102_0336.jpg

Actually it still can overflow...if the return pump stops pumping you still have a good amount of water thats going to go through the o-flow down the drain to the sump...

I get about a 2-3 inch increase of water in my sump when the return pump is shut off in my 20 gallon sump and thats only a 60 gallon tank. Make sure you test it before you are comfortable with your design...

The 20L also doesnt hold much water, The more water the better the sump will hold the better...Id turn the 20L into a refugium and use a nice 30-40 gallon sump. You can get nice barebone sumps for pretty cheap...I saw some at www.oceanproaquatics.com for pretty good prices..

Also to make your overflow super quiet you are going to need to build a durso standpipe. Look at the information on www.dursostandpipes.com

NaughtyCashew

Nice progress, but I second Prorapters thoughts. I have a 20g on my 40g system and it *barely* works. If you take into account the amount of water you will have in the pipes, any reverse flow from the returns, and evaporation loss, then there isn't much to work with.

If I could fit a 40g sump under my 40g tank I would!

Did you make the overflow box yourself? It looks good!

you dont have to have partitions in a sump, I have 100 gal ruber maid container that is being used as the sump for my 65 gal. Just get a 55 gal and stick it under the stand. If bubbles become a problem then take a large peice of PVC and drill ALOT of holes on the bottom and fill it full of LR rubble.

-greg

Thanks for everyone's concerns and comments. If I start to have problems with my sump I will get a bigger one. I do have a spare 29g that I could use for a sump :). But right now I need to get a job to full my pockets back up :o. The aquarium, stand, canopy and overflow box was not made by me, it was made in Pascagoula, MS by Ocean View Aquarium Products Inc.

Well i just ordered a Coralife Suber Skimmer, the 220 version and

I think this is the best skimmer for the money. I have read many good reviews on this skimmer. Here are some good reviews on reef central I found. I also ordered 2 maxi-jets 1200's, aqua gloves and a refractometer. I have a few pics to show this skimmer working (pics are not my skimmer):D.

125foaming.jpg

Coralife_SS_2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

well I finally got sand and rock in the tank last weekend, now all have to wait on is for these beast to cycle. Also I picked up my Coralife Superskimmer 220 and hooked it up. This thing started to pick junk out of tank in the first 24 hours :P. Oh yeha let me add this for a quick laugh...

102_.jpg

woah, what does the mountain dew can do?

I have no idea, I was wonderin if it was some kind of mod or a friend threw a can of mountain dew behind this persons tank? :haha:

• 2 weeks later...

FTS 1-23-06:

With Flash

102_0449_FTS.jpg

Without Flash

102_0399_FTS.jpg

Side Shot

102_0399_side.jpg

Damn I need to figure out why my camera is not catching the full beauty of the tank. Oh well the tank cycled in less that a week and a half with Walt Smith's Fiji Cured Premium Live Rock. Tank inhabitants include:

1 yellow tang

1 blue tang

1 orange spotted blennie

1 true percula clownfish

5 blue/green chromis

1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

various hermits and cerith snails

I have no idea, I was wonderin if it was some kind of mod or a friend threw a can of mountain dew behind this persons tank? :haha:

well it is placed pretty well and looks like its for something

so what brand of tank is it?

Ha, I'm glad you asked. It's an Ocean View Aquarium, they are made in Mississippi. I had some custom stuff that I wanted to be done before I got it. Like for instance, I wanted one solid door on the canopy instead of three. Also I wanted black silicone and the overflow in the center of the tank. The nice thing about Ocean View is they do not charge per hole like Oceanic does and also they include the overflow pipes (loc-line, PVC, Bulkheads, etc).

here is some more pics, as asked. This is untill I can take some more later tonight :).

Speckeled Baby Blues (most favorite)

102_0390_macro.jpg

Frogspawn

102_0470_macro.jpg

Roses of Pink Palyotha

102_0483.jpg

Archived