Cultivated Reef

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

lgreen

i love picotopes

Hi, im a beginner and was wondering whether the flame angel can really be successfully kept in a 20g tank?

Thinking of setting up a 24 gallon and wanted the flame angel. :)

• 2 months later...

From my experience with my flame angel i think your tank

Would be to small

My is about 2in and swims all over my 75g

And my has a liking for acans :( lol

could you add some beginner fish for the bio cubes, or any one tell me what could be good for me getting back in to the hobby with a 29g bio-cube.

Use the 20 gallon stocking list. Even though the biocube is labeled "29 gallons", the manufacturer includes the volume of the back compartments, not just the display where the livestock will be.

Use the 20 gallon stocking list. Even though the biocube is labeled "29 gallons", the manufacturer includes the volume of the back compartments, not just the display where the livestock will be.

Thanks lake, what about corals. stay with palys,zoa's,and softies? could i get a head or two of frogspawn in there?

buddythelion
Thanks lake, what about corals. stay with palys,zoa's,and softies? could i get a head or two of frogspawn in there?

Corals are all up to you. They don't need room to swim around and don't make as much waste as fish do. Your coral choices sound swell!

Corals are all up to you. They don't need room to swim around and don't make as much waste as fish do. Your coral choices sound swell!

thanks. got me my money and going to go out and get a frag or two of coral, and some starter fish.

While you can usually get as many corals as you want, only buy fish one at a time, unless they need to be added as a pair/group. Fish make a big dent in your tank's bioload, so the filtration capacity often needs time to recover (at least a week or so, to be safe).

Edited by lakshwadeep
  • 3 months later...
So is it possible to keep to maroons in a 20L if they were to be the only fish?

Just be prepared for them to potentially outgrow the tank. Some maroons stop at 3 or 4", some grow to be over 6. A pair of 6"+ maroons would not be happy in a 30x12x12 tank.

IMO, get a tank that's big enough for an adult from the outset, or wait to get the fish until you get the larger tank. Otherwise, you run the risk of them growing to adult size before you've prepared the big tank.

Hey,

I've been reading this thread off and on all evening, and it prompted me to join this forum. It has been very informative, thank you. With that being said, the wife of the owner of the lfs that I frequent about flipped out when I said that I wanted to put some sort of small fish in my fluval edge. She was vehement about only inverts and some corals...I guess luckily for me, they sell mostly lr, corals, and inverts, right? :P I'm having a really hard time deciding what fish that I want to put in there. I'd wanted the yasha goby (or a pink spotted goby that I saw at the other store I shop at), but I haven't researched either that much yet. I have plenty of time before I can even think of introducing a fish anyways. Also, generally, when do people start adding their cleanup crew? I can't find a specific answer, and I'm assuming it's more based on water conditions. thanks - nicole

Well, no, I know! I just meant what time frame (i.e. 1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks in?)

After the cycle (if any) is finished, you can start adding livestock. You can add the CUC immediately or when you see algae blooms. You can add them all at once or successively.

Corals can then be added at any time (but within the ranges of the corals' hardiness: i.e. some are delicate and need "established" tanks of ~6 months). Fish additions are the main things that need to be spaced out (a week or so), mainly because of the high bioload of fish, requiring a change in biofiltration capacity. However, even that can be very vague since some fish need to be added together due to territoriality issues, and it's not clear that waiting a week is optimal.

I was just gonna add cuc when there's algae. I also wish I'd added more sand so I might have to do that and cloud the hell out of my water when i get more rock. T-T

Good effort - just saw this thread for the first time!

Must note the I would take exception to every fish on the 30g list. Just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should". Keeping these in a 30 is more like a stunt than anything that could be considered good husbandry.

Also second the thought on lowering stocking density across the board by the same logic as above.

People in this hobby need more conservative advice regarding fish - not advice to push any limits. (These are largely wild animals, not farmed - we should all have much more conservative standards for keeping them.)

IMO

-Matt

P.S. you should add Barnacle Blennies to your list. 20g would be my recommended minimum, and they seem do do well in a small colony. Got three as my only fish in my 50g. AWESOME!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...