Innovative Marine Aquariums

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

lgreen

Ok...looking for some opinions and feedback. I am considering removing the minimum acceptable tank size. Based on seeing my guide linked to on other forums and reading their criticisms of it on their forums, I can see a lot of people are misunderstanding the point of the minimum acceptable tank size. I'm not sure if it really serves any purpose, except to perhaps pave the way for beginners to push the limits from the start.

I fully agree. As aquarists we should be attempting to provide more ideal conditions for the fish we attempt to care for instead of attempting to put the fish in the smallest tank possible- forcing it to simply survive.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info.

I was thinking it would be nice if there is a link to pics and description added next to each fish listed.

Maybe I am just asking too much.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
What about Cinnamon Clowns? They are captive bred as well. Or would they fall in the tomato category? LOL

Ocellaris/percula clowns are the best choices for nano tanks because of their small size and generally peaceful temperament. Tomatos and cinnamon clowns are best kept to "medium" (~30+ gallons) or larger tanks.

• 1 month later...
lakshwadeep
needs to be revised

Care to point out what needs to be changed? It's harder to do that than just blurt out a nearly useless statement.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there.

I am just curious why percula and ocellaris are fine for a 7 gallon tank, but dottybacks, which don't get any bigger, need a 10 gallon. I am not disputing anything. I am simply curious what the reasoning is behind it.

Obviously, I am thinking a one-fish tank here. Some day, I might want to do a one-fish dottyback tank.

Edited by Tyrsdottir
  • 2 months later...
Haha. Some United Kingdom douche bag, who claims he has written permission from myself and Chris Marks (having permission from CM means nothing, he doesn't own my guide) to post my guide on some UK reefing forum as part of his own guide, telling people to post/pm him with changes and he will make changes to my guide as they see fit.

Assuming I ever did give him permission, this is abusive and insulting.

From now on this guide will remain strictly on nr.com, reeftuners, and nanotank.com. I am in the process of trying to have it removed from ultimatereef.net since said douche bag won't cooperate. If anyone else would like to stand up and support me here, please register at ultimate reef, to the nano reef forum and look for the sticky and give them hell.

Thanks.

Maybe he made a mistake,,,,we all make them.

Edited by dh350twin
  • 1 month later...
lakshwadeep
Isn't the Orange Stripe Goby and Randall's Shrimp Goby the same species of fish?

It depends. The first name could describe many species of gobies, but the second name is more specific (Amblyleotris randalli).

animalmaster6
Isn't the Orange Stripe Goby and Randall's Shrimp Goby the same species of fish?

There is a lot of conflicting common names.

Follow what Laks said.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, thanks!

I wonder if it is possible to keep a Diamond goby or Tiger goby (the sand-sifting ones) in 29G? If their diet is supplemented with cultured pods?

It would be also very helpful if you would extend your guide to inverts and cuc

• 2 months later...

Wow this guide is great!! I'm new to saltwater aquariums and nano reefs, and I was wondering if it's possible to put either a percula or ocellaris clownfish in a 5g tank. Thanks! :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

Way back there was some discussion about lion fish. I had a Comet Grouper that I fed guppies to on a stick (not live) and silver sides. The only live food it got was Ghost shrimp. I kept it with a Blood Shrimp, a few Yellow tail Damsels, very small (1cm) Lemon Damsels and never had any issues. Simply posting because of the mention of feeding method affecting food choice. I had many people tell me that I could not keep these fist together but, well, I did. Comet Groupers and Lion fish have the same sort of eating habits (if it fits it's food) but they may not have the same attitude I don't know. I did have a Dwarf Volitan that seemed to be following the same patterns, if I was there it was food. Unfortunately the dwarf met his end on a too large piece of krill and never got big enough to take the Damsels, so I didn't get to see if it's feeding habits would change with size.

How big was the comet? It's a bit of a stretch to use observations on a comet, which usually are considered reclusive, kept with damsels, which aren't passive fish, and make a claim about lionfish, which aren't closely related.

ok i have a quick question.

i currently have a 20 long

based on this guide I can have a maroons?

that's all I want for fish.

I'm just very curious because I dont want to make a mistake and have the fish suffer for it.

thank you for any responses