Coral Vue Hydros

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

lgreen

Hey lgreen. Any chance you can add something about which fish can be readily breed in captivity?

If you would like some info on breeding fish, visit MOFIB at marinebreeder.org.

I WOULD LIKE TO LODGE A COMPLAINT. I CAME HERE LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON A FISH FOR MY NANOWAVE 9, BUT IT IS NOT LISTED ANYWHERE. THIS SORT OF DISCRIMINATION SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED.

I'M STARTING A LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN, WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!

:angry:

If you would like some info on breeding fish, visit MOFIB at marinebreeder.org.

I was thinking more along the lines of available from captive breeding. 1 less fishy from the ocean and all.

• 2 weeks later...
Fish Stocking Guide For Nano Reefs

By lgreen (copyright 2005-2007)

• Your responsibility as a fish owner:

I just ran across this...very nice work! I'm curious to know if there if anyone has tried to write a comprehansive guide such as this for corals in a Nano tank?

I have a curious question. Why would a Sixline Wrasse, full grown at about 3 inches, be considered OK (and I stress OK) for a 10G+ aquarium where lets say a Dot-N-Dash Flasher Wrasse (Paracheleilinus Lineopunctatus), full grown at about 2.5 inches, only be suitable for a 20G+. Interested in thoughts for this one.

Edited by goin_all_out
I just ran across this...very nice work! I'm curious to know if there if anyone has tried to write a comprehansive guide such as this for corals in a Nano tank?

I have one started...can't say when it will be done for sure though.

Flasher wrasses are open water feeders (planktivores), while the sixline moves close and in between the rocks to find pods to eat.

Thank you very much, well explained and apreciated greatly.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody already suggested the use of latin names?

I'm not speaking for lgreen, but given the nature of the guide as being a sticky in the Beginner Section, common names seem to be adequate to help beginner's find fish by what they will be commonly referred to as in the LFS.

Agreed. If you want the scientific name, type the common name in google and search for it.

If you absolutely can't find it, then pm me or post here.

Okay. I typed "green clown goby" into google, and got back Gobiodon histrio, G. atrangulatus, G. rivulatus...which species does it refer to? ;)

Okay. I typed "green clown goby" into google, and got back Gobiodon histrio, G. atrangulatus, G. rivulatus...which species does it refer to? ;)

Gobiodon rivulatus:

tn_Goriv_u0.jpg

Gobiodon histrio:

tn_Gohis_m0.jpg

Gobiodon atrangulatus:

p_71055greenclown_goby.jpg

Notice the difference between the red patterning between G. histrio and G. atrangulatus.

The one you commonly see in fish stores is G. atrangulatus.

• Like 1

I guess I am not making my point clearly enough.

Novice fishkeeper walks into LFS and ask for a "purple dottyback"...will he be sold P. fridmani or P. porphyreus? I'm sure you and I know there are 2 similar looking species, and how to tell the difference, and what the common names are, but how does he? Should he trust the LFS to give him the correct info and name, or maybe just sell him whatever purple colored dotty they have in stock? There are many examples of similar looking fish with different personalities that this applies to.

How about a picture, or description, or latin name, or a link to Fishbase.org, etc. to eliminate any possible confusion?

Like this:

Orchid Dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani

Purple/Magenta Dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus

Edited by wombat