Pod Your Reef

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

lgreen

This is a great guide, I keep signposting new reefers to it because it is so comprehensive. As I'm directing people across from Europe, it would be nice to see the volumes given as litres too.

Not precise, but rough conversions for the volumes used most frequently in the guide would be:

0.5_____2 litres

2.5_____10

5_______20

7_______25

10______40

20______75

30______110

55______210

At a risk of adding another layer of complexity, would it be possible to indicate which species are currently available as tank-bred or otherwise captive-bred? And to indicate those species (e.g. Banggai Cardinalfish) that are IUCN Appendix II listed under CITES ("endangered")?

Many thanks lgreen on a great resource.

Edited by Alastair
This is a great guide, I keep signposting new reefers to it because it is so comprehensive. As I'm directing people across from Europe, it would be nice to see the volumes given as litres too.

Not precise, but rough conversions for the volumes used most frequently in the guide would be:

0.5_____2 litres

2.5_____10

5_______20

7_______25

10______40

20______75

30______110

55______210

At a risk of adding another layer of complexity, would it be possible to indicate which species are currently available as tank-bred or otherwise captive-bred? And to indicate those species (e.g. Banggai Cardinalfish) that are IUCN Appendix II listed under CITES ("endangered")?

Many thanks lgreen on a great resource.

First two done. I'll look into the CITES stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Mynameskenny19

hey Igreen, have you ever though about doing a guide just like the one you have created, but with "Inverts" instead? or has somebody already done this idea before?

thanks for the wondeful guide youve made!

Kenny.

hey Igreen, have you ever though about doing a guide just like the one you have created, but with "Inverts" instead? or has somebody already done this idea before?

thanks for the wondeful guide youve made!

Kenny.

Hi Kenny,

my vote would be for IGreen to focus on the fish guide rather than let it go and move on to something else.

It would be great if someone else would setp forward and start a similar guide on inverts though.

And then one on corals. :D

Of course, there is a "fish info database" and "coral info database" and "invertebrate database" and one wonders if material is being duplicated between these. Further... It strikes me that this sort of information might also benefit by being put into a Wiki.

-hank

Mynameskenny19

Hey Hank.

Yeah, I understand what youre saying about Igreen focusing on the "fish info".

I was just wondering if he or somebody else can make a little database like what he's put up, but use it for "inverts".

oh yeah, the little databases that have coral, fish, and inverts....in my opinion, i think they SUCK!

im not saying i can do better, but man!, theres barely anything on there compared to what Igreen's put up!

anyhoo, it was just an idea. thanks for buzzin in Hank and thank you Igreen for typing up this guide!

very informative!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If an Invert Thread followed the collaborative model of this thread then it needs someone with the invert knowledge and experience to produce initial text and then the time to collate the observations posted by others into a skeleton document message to start the thread..

lgreen has already given us the model to follow..

Invert Stocking Guide For Nano Reefs

By ??? (copyright 2007-)

Table of Contents

I. Introduction

II. How To Use This Guide

III. Feeding Suggestions

IV. Nano Invertebrate Compatibility

V. Nano Invertebrates Listed By Tank Size

VI. Nano Invertebrates Listed By Major Groups w/ Detailed Info

VII. Bibliography & Acknowledgments

• 1 month later...
revaltion131

I'd like to recommend that the Potter's Angel (Centropyge potteri) be either removed from the list or marked as red. In reality, they do get to be pretty big fish, though absolutely beautiful. As the original post states, 5" is about the average adult size. IMO, it would work in a 30+, but it might not be happy. Anyway, the other concern for it, with me at least, is that they are very poor at adapting to captive life.

This angel is comparable to the leopard wrasses; they ship terribly (arrive alive guaruntees don't usually cover this fish), and it may be very hard to adapt them to captive life. That being said, just like with the leopards, if you are lucky enough to find one that shipped well and is eating prepared foods, you should pounce.

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying this fish, because it isn't one of those species that is doomed as soon as it's captured, I just want people to be informed on it.

If an Invert Thread followed the collaborative model of this thread then it needs someone with the invert knowledge and experience to produce initial text and then the time to collate the observations posted by others into a skeleton document message to start the thread..

lgreen has already given us the model to follow..

I actually do have an invert guide partially written that follows the same format. Not sure if or when I'll finish it.

• 2 weeks later...

lgreen I just wanted to thank you personally for the effort you put into this guide. I refer to it on a regular basis as I'm always trying to make sure whatever I put into a tank is well suited. I could go look each fish up in a book one by one, but this simple easy to follow guide makes it so much quicker. Someone mentions a fish and I can quickly check if it should even be considered. Thanks again!!

Is that partial invert guide up anywhere, or are you just working on it before you post it? Even partial is better than none :) Thanks again, I appreciate all the hard work.

I would add Masked Gobies to the list. (Coryphopterus personatus)

A little quick info:

- 1.4" maximum size

- Peaceful, shoaling species.

I would put them in the 10gal or bigger category, personally, as they are more active than most gobies their size. Maybe 5g.

I have 5 of them in my 20L, they form a tight little school and are now one of my favorite species. They spend alot more time swimming in open water than most gobies. They very readily accept flake/frozen foods, and seem very hardy. I have heard reports of them being jumpers, but mine have been well-behaved so far.

This is a great resource. I just want to contribute.

- Josh

• 2 weeks later...
Josh, how well do they handle flow?

They seem to be fine with it. I have about 1600gph of "total" flow moving through my 20L (powerheads + return), and they don't seem to have any problems handling it at all. That's 80x turnover. If they can handle that, they can handle anything.

I have noticed that they tend to stick close to the rockwork when the pumps are on, but the SECOND I hit the feed button and my pumps turn off, they go to the surface and wait. They are smart little fish; They made the association between pumps being off and food almost immediately.

They can "hover" in one spot even in the most intense flow, though it does seem to be quite a workout. It's funny to watch them hover in one spot, facing into the current, then all whip around in unison and do a 180 when the current switches to the other direction. (I use an SCWD on my return)

Edited by SPS20
clownfish617

i love this guide! :lol:

are you sure about the painted frog fish? i have never had one but want one in my 20 gallon high i am thinking alone? any ideas thanks

Fish_Maniac

Raising a thread back from the dead :happy: I have a Lawnmower Blenny in my 8 gallon (30L) along with a True Percula Clownfish and they are fine as long as I do weekly water changes.

I have 3 Percs in a 14g nano with standard equipment , only because my 24g aquapod is giving me problems cycling. I think the standard equipment on the 24g aquapod is inadequate. I am replacing the stock pump with an MJ 900 tonight and already have a Korila 2.

I only mention this because I would like to see the guide include a 14 gallon set up.

CorvetteJoe

I've checked this list MANY times since I started my reef up.

I just used it again today to make a shopping list for the wife and I to go over to see what the LFS has :)

Thanks again for all the work done on this list!

• 2 weeks later...

VERY usefull! Thanks a ton! ;)

If I could contribute anything, I would re-affirm previous confirmations on this thread that damsels are NOT compatable with many soft corals. I kept a blue fin in my 6 gal for over a year (he was very happy and healthy despite most people saying it was too small of a habitat for him) before realizing he was nipping my knya tree, star polyps and button polyps. Not cool damsel, not cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'd have to say no to any dragonett in anything less than 50 gallons. if you will do a search you can see where i tried to keep a mandarin in a 20L. yes i got him trained to eat frozen foods, but the little bastage had to be fed so much that it was playing hell with the rest of my tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Mynameskenny19

About the fish listed on page 1, are they ordered to the particular size tanks for life or do you have to get a bigger tank? Pretty much, are the tanks sizes listed "minimum" tank sizes???

Thanks.