Top Shelf Aquatics

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

lgreen

Ok, I read this entire post.....I have a 12 Eclipse Bio Wheel filtration, 13 pc lights....10lbs liverock, 3 inches livesand, AquaClear 20 powerhead....I want a pair of clowns, and a pair of dwarf seahorses. Could you suggest what else I might put in my tank? I love colorfull fishes!! Thanks for the invalueable info!

post-26006-1171569979_thumb.jpg

Ok, I read this entire post.....I have a 12 Eclipse Bio Wheel filtration, 13 pc lights....10lbs liverock, 3 inches livesand, AquaClear 20 powerhead....I want a pair of clowns, and a pair of dwarf seahorses. Could you suggest what else I might put in my tank? I love colorfull fishes!! Thanks for the invalueable info!

post-26006-1171569979_thumb.jpg

Did you read the seahorse section? It states that dwarf horses are not to be kept in tanks larger than 10 gallons. From all the reading I have done, most people recommend horses be kept in a species tank, or at a minimum with very slow, docile tankmates.

Also be aware that dwarf seahorses are pretty high maintenance, as they need newly hatched brine shrimp on a daily basis. If you really want to keep ponies you should check out seahorse.org.

Did you read the seahorse section? It states that dwarf horses are not to be kept in tanks larger than 10 gallons. From all the reading I have done, most people recommend horses be kept in a species tank, or at a minimum with very slow, docile tankmates.

Also be aware that dwarf seahorses are pretty high maintenance, as they need newly hatched brine shrimp on a daily basis. If you really want to keep ponies you should check out seahorse.org.

So, I guess clowns are not peacefull. Also it all of my liverock and 3 inches of substrate...my tank it probally 9-10g!

So, I guess clowns are not peacefull. Also it all of my liverock and 3 inches of substrate...my tank it probally 9-10g!

Not trying to be rude, but did you read the info at the site I suggested? A single pair of dwarfs in a tank that size would most likely starve to death.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/dwarfKeeping.shtml

They are adorable critters and I would love to have them someday, but after researching I decided they require more time than I am willing/able to give at this time.

Not trying to be rude, but did you read the info at the site I suggested? A single pair of dwarfs in a tank that size would most likely starve to death.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/dwarfKeeping.shtml

They are adorable critters and I would love to have them someday, but after researching I decided they require more time than I am willing/able to give at this time.

Yes, I did and now I am thinking the same as you B)

Maybe a good excuse to setup a little 2.5 or 5g dwarf seahorse tank? lol

As far as your 12g tank, pair of clowns is great, I wouldn't add very many other fish though. Take a look at the list of fish for 10g and under. Maybe something like a yellow or green clown goby, or some other goby?

what does everyone think of a mystery wrasse (only fish) in a 11g (display area) tank? I wanted a cherub angel, but I think the tank is too small for it, even if its going to be the only tank.

VannReefer,

I think a mystery wrasse will get much too LARGE for an 11G tank! Wrasses love to swim and I think an 11G tank would be too small for any wrasse. And besides, a mystery wrasse ain't a cheap fish! hehe You wouldn't want it dying on you!! :)

VannReefer,

I think a mystery wrasse will get much too LARGE for an 11G tank! Wrasses love to swim and I think an 11G tank would be too small for any wrasse. And besides, a mystery wrasse ain't a cheap fish! hehe You wouldn't want it dying on you!! :)

;)

Yeah, not too sure about a mystery wrasse anymore...according to the reef book I have it gets 3.1'' and requires a 15g tank, just wondering if it could be done in my 11g, but its not looking so good. Although they are suppose to be very hardy, not sure if I wanna risk it.

• 2 weeks later...
firstimereefer
Probably not tell summer.

I am pretty busy with school.

Ok I look forward to reading it.

I see you have a lot of damsels in the 10-12 G section where would you put a Starcki Damsel???

Edited by firstimereefer
  • 2 weeks later...

Though I know it's unpopular, as they really aren't reef fish, all common freshwater livebearers could be used in a reef tank. Mollies certainly live in saltwater in the wild, and can quickly be adjusted to it, though some of them like sail-fins probably aren't nano-fish. Guppies and Endlers have been used in nano reefs after being acclimated. I'm considering setting up an "Endler Pico" mainly because they're quite possibly the smallest reef-capable fish in the market, and more ethical to use than wild-caught options. Presumably Platys could be conditioned almost as easily as Mollies, but I'm not sure why anyone would bother.

Boring choices compared to real reef fishes? Sure. But they're worth listing.

• 3 weeks later...

I know someone else mentioned this, and i dont know if any one else

but i cant read through the 9pages to see

Dwarf Seahorses are expert only BUT! can be a a great newbie fish... like me!

it is a very delicate horse.. hardly hardy...(i might contradict my self there in a moment) and is very compliecated elements...

i guess i only say that because its a very simple tank

mine is 10gl divided with about 2-3gl connected fuge (divided portion) 12dwarves on the way!

plastic hitches, cheato on the way/copepods on the way and bs eggs. (decapp yourself or buy decapped

b&w sand.

sponge filter

heater and

lights (which you dont really need but it looks better)

experienced keepers will probbably experiment more with what they have in with their horses

i have researched them for 3years and they are finally coming!

and hydroids are a BIG problem

they can be a very hardy horse if you go the safe route and dont complicate things, i wanted to put a whole bunch of stuff that probably would have ended in the demise of my horses if i hadnt joined seahorse.org and posted my ideas there

so anyone who wants to try go there research. they are such a cute creature and i so far recomend them even though i dont have them yet

(which is why i am here for my prospected reef!)

• 1 month later...
CrazyAggie05

damn. I was going to for sure do a mantis only tank, but then I found these guys:

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochr...tpseudochromis/

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochr...ochromisredsea/

And now I just dont know! They are supposed to bo on the small side of pseudochromis. If ya'll think they would do well in my Biocube 8, I might get the mantis, see if it harasses a yellow tail damsel, and if it does't, sell the damsel and finish off the tank with one of those pseudos.

I'd double check everything that site says with a more credible source. They have a history of displaying very inaccurate information.

CrazyAggie05

well there isnt much info for these two species period. however, could you even reccomend a small pseudo (2" max size, maybe 2.5) in a tank like mine?

• 2 months later...

dottybacks (aka pseudochromis) don't swim alot, they tend to hover, but both of the ones I've had seemed to enjoy the room to dart around the tank. I don't think I would keep one in anything smaller than 20"-24" long. I had a bicolor dottyback in a 46 bowfront and currently have a purple stripe dottyback in my 20 long. I know you're looking at smaller species, but they still have the same characteristics. I just dont think a BC8 gives them the dart space they seem to like. Hope that helps.

-Chris